+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Measuring 66.9%

Hybrid View

Search for Maple Expert Solutions (MES) Maple Syrup App on google play, the app has calculators for sap brix x gallons for total syrup, RO calculators, sap collection logs that you fill out & it emails you, also altitude of your sugar house, barometric pressure and it tells you draw off temp. I've found it very useful the last couple of years.
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

I have looked at the Murphy cups for a while. A bit on the pricey side, when I consider that I only check the density at boiling, when I draw off and when I am bottling. From what I gather, the Murphy cup is very helpful when you want to find the correct density at a temperature that is less than boiling. Since I always test at boiling, I’m thinking it’s not really worth it - for what I do, and the way I do it.
    Thoughts? Am I missing something?
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

My procedure is to always final check syrup when it has gotten to 60d. The hydrometer has a red line for this temperature. The syrup temps are more stable at this point, and you dont need a 125.00 gadget to get it right.
    12x24 sugarhouse 2x4 drop flue
    2020. 211 taps on 3/16”gravity with flojet g80 air driven pumps
    2021. 250 taps 4 flojet g80
    2022 275 taps on 3/16 gravity to two g80 vacuum stations
    2023. 320 taps 5 g80 pumps
    2024. Refurbed homemade 2 post 4040 All stainless sap storage and handling

Quote Originally Posted by therealtreehugger View Post
    I have looked at the Murphy cups for a while. A bit on the pricey side, when I consider that I only check the density at boiling, when I draw off and when I am bottling. From what I gather, the Murphy cup is very helpful when you want to find the correct density at a temperature that is less than boiling. Since I always test at boiling, I’m thinking it’s not really worth it - for what I do, and the way I do it.
    The way I look at it, there's nothing wrong with having more maple syrup making toys....LOL
    2021 - First year: 4 taps; Tapped too late; 4.5 gallons of sap
    2022 - 11 taps; 20 gallons of sap
    2023 - 23 taps. 3 gallons of syrup; founded TruNorth Maple Co.
    2024 - 26 (+10) taps; 4.5 gallons of syrup; added RO filter

You don't need a murphy cup. It is a convenience item, and a nice one, and I have one and love it. But you don't need it. You can do the same by inserting a thermometer into the sample in the cup and using a conversion chart for your hydrometer reading. I bought the murphy cup to avoid this, thinking that the time required to fumble with all this when batch boiling would cause the density to change too much while measuring. What the murphy cup helped me discover is that for a given method, the sample temperature is pretty much always the same. My method is boiling on the kitchen stovetop and ladling into the sample cup. It turns out, without fail, the murphy cup tells me my target is 61 brix. So, I don't really need the murphy cup anymore (though I still use it, might as well, and its good to be sure since I do have it), but could just use 61 brix as my 66.9 target. Of course, what this means is that I can't use the red line on the hydrometer (59 brix target), which is for a sample 211F, which is really only achievable if you're scooping your sample right out of your syrup pan.
    So, figure out what your sample system is, figure out what that temperature that is when you insert the hydrometer and what the 66.9 equivalent is at that temp, and make that your target.
    Also, every once in a while, grab a jar of your own syrup and check the density to see if you're generally consistent. If the sample is 60 degrees F or more, any downloadable conversion chart will tell you what your hydrometer reading should be. If always correct, whatever you're doing is working. If not, it isn't and needs work.
    But still ask for the murphy cup for Christmas sometime, which is how I got mine :-D
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by therealtreehugger View Post
    Last edited by Andy VT; 01-05-2024 at 07:41 PM.
    2024: 28 taps, 7 gallons. RB5 purchased but not opened :-(
    2023: 30 taps, 17 trees, 11 properties, Sugar Maple & Norway. 2x3 flat over propane & kitchen finish. ~11(!) gallons.
    2022: 9 taps, 5 trees, 4 properties. 3 hotel pans on 3 Coleman 2-burner stoves burning gasoline; kitchen finish. ~3 gallons.
    2021: 2 taps, 1 sugar maple. Propane grill then kitchen finish. ~Pint.
    All years: mainly 5/16" drops into free supermarket frosting buckets. Some plastic sap buckets hanging on 5/16 sap-meister.

+ Reply to Thread