+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Started in Clinton Corners, NY

Quote Originally Posted by MaplePancakeMan View Post
    I don't sell gallons but the guy down the road sells them for 50. I sell am only selling pints this year for 9.25... sound around average? I bottle in bigger sizes if someone wants me to, but in my experience pints fly and the others don't.

What do you sell you're for?
    I am not sure what the going price will be in this area. I just trying to get a handle on it now. But if I were to guess it will be $40 or more.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

collected 240 gallons this morning, cleaned the pans and decided that Saturday is the day (instead of today) to put the remainder of the taps in. Sugar on the 240 gallons was 3.5% due to alot of ice that was in the buckets. Will boil it all off tomorrow when i put the sweet back in the pan.

It was still flowing after i collected around noon i figure there will be another 100-150 by the time it ends tonight
    80-100 taps
    2x6 patrick phaneuf Evaporator

Default prices

I agree with Fred regarding the gallon price. At least I hope its over 40. With the price of bulk syrup, it has to be over 40 if you want your same profit margin. We're a family business and I dont set the price, but I've had this argument already.

Default does any one have a bulk price yet

have any of you guys sold any bulk yet ,i talk to our dealer and he said it would depend on the canada forcast ,

No bulk for me, i don't make enough. I just bottled up 7.5 gallons of light amber.
    Last edited by MaplePancakeMan; 02-25-2008 at 10:11 PM.
    80-100 taps

After quite the reprieve from boiling i have boiled down 475 gallons of sap thus far, 200 more are coming from the farm and another 100 from the house, I'll finish those tonight and get to boiling again tomorrow before the rain, i expect to have probably another 375 tomorrow. Sap is really pouring our right now...at this rate i might run out of wood before i run out of sap.
    80-100 taps

Cool Cleaning and prepping

Collected 325 gallons today will boil that tomorrow. I took today for cleaning and moving things around. I installed Rail-Gasket on my arch (under the pans and under the stack i used a 2000 degree cement to adhere it. I ran all the Sweet through the filter press, soaked and cleaned the pans, Poured the sweet back in, cleaned all the sap tanks, swapped half of my buckets with clean ones. I'll do the next half in a day or so. Tonight I'll probably bottle up some more syrup 4 or 5 gallons to stay on top of it. The way this is going i might need to start putting it up in bulk, I'm running out of space around here easily around 30 gallons here so far with another 7-8 gallons worth to process tomorrow.

It was absolutely beautiful today here high of 46 after dipping into the teens tomorrow looks like 50 for sure as well as the next few days. I'm concerned a bit that the sap will start to stop if we get too many consistent days in the 50's It happened last year like that. However the forecast goes cold again the 3rd week of March.

Anyone else only making light syrup, i have only had one batch that went over the fancy/light threshold and that was just marginal depending on how you held it up to the light.
    80-100 taps

Collected 375 this morning, trees ran through the night almost through the 325 from yesterday. I'm almost overwhelmed... but i guess thats a good thing to be overwhelmed by
    80-100 taps

MPM,

We are getting some good daily runs now too. On the subject of pricing syrup. we are getting $7 / pint. A local farmer takes our stuff for sale in NYC.

Russ

Rusty, Yeah the daily runs are getting pretty cosistent which is nice. I kinda need a nice two day break to recoop but doesn't look i will get it anytime soon. however it looks like a pretty decent cold front approaching the temps are steadily dropping. Gonna drop into the single digits/low teens so its gonna take awhile for the trees to thaw out, tomorrows runs should be smaller.
    80-100 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast