+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Started in Clinton Corners, NY

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    If you can't get to 10 of your buckets, how will you check for leaks daily on tubing? 3/16 works great with good drop in elevation, but just 1 little leak in the line, all vacuum is gone. You need to be able to fix all leaks.
    Checking and fixing lines I can handle, carrying sap I can't.
    2014 - 6 Taps (and some borrowed sap) - Barrel evaporator - 1 1/2 Gallons syrup
    2015 - 30 taps - block arch -7.5 gallons syrup
    2016 - 20 taps- fire bricked arch - 5 gallons syrup
    2017 - 20 Taps- still boiling outside - 5 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 30 Taps - Mason 2x4 XL inside Garage - 10 gal. syrup
    2019 - 2 Taps - Propane stove and pot - 1 pint syrup
    2020 - 4 Taps - Propane Stove and pot - 3 Pints syrup
    2021 - 6 Taps - Stove/Smokey Lake Star Cat evaporator - 8 Pints syrup

How many of you have tapped in the hudson valley? Getting ready just have to finish installing some tubing lines, weather looks good but i just can't bring myself to start before 2/14 which has worked well for me for the last 15 years. Hope everyone is doing well! i think this summer will be the time i upgrade my evaporator, mine has been good to me but sometimes you just want a shiny new one! My daughter now knows more than i do about maple syrup and has been telling me everyday that we should tap and shes only 4.5 years old haha.
    80-100 taps
    2x6 patrick phaneuf Evaporator

We are in Cornwall NY mid Hudson Valley. Tapping 200 tomorrow with a friend down the road. Then I will tap my 80 Monday or Tuesday. We tap between the 5th and 12th of Feb most years. Hey by the way, Do you happen to know a Lineman for CHG&E that lives in Clinton Corners? I don't want to put some ones last name on here but his first name is Mike. I worked storms in your area many times over the years. Nice area over there.

Did not end up tapping this year but it seems of all years to skip this one wasn't a bad one. Weird weather, then the trees went to budding quickly. I did get out and fix up all my lines but if next year is anything like this past year I'm sure I'll have to do it all over again. Wind after wind after wind! I'll be back next year for sure the plus side is pans are clean and wood is stacked I'm a year a head of schedule haha on the negative side I am a half gallon away from being out of syrup for the year. Anyone in Dutchess have a good year? Time to fire up the sawmill for summer, that will surely keep me busy until next season.
    80-100 taps
    2x6 patrick phaneuf Evaporator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910