+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arch mods

Default arch mods

A couple years ago I purchased a 2x3 flat pan and welded up a 2x3 firebox to fire it. This has worked ok, except feeding that whole box of wood is a bit of a chore and is probably using more wood than needed. I would like to modify this so the fire box is 20inches deep and then ramps up to a narrow opening before it exits into the 6in chimney.
    Does this transition have to be sloped. I was thinking of making it close to 90 degrees, that would help maintain that narrow opening of a foot before it exits the chimney. Or I could make the fire box say 18in and have a 60 degrees angle to slope it to the narrow opening?
    What do you think?

The Narrow opening I was thinking of having around the same Area of my stack, My fire box is 24in wide - 2in of brick = 22wide x 1.25 = 27.5, which is close to the area of a 6in pipe.

any input would be appreciated!

You can to straight up, many of the hobby arches are made that way.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I am in the process of finishing up my evaporator build. I built mine 90 degrees like the professional ones. I figured it should perform the same as them.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

Your math is good for the area. (pi r^2 = l x w). Mine is straight up, 90 deg, too. The quicker you get the heat close to the underside of the pan, the better. As long as you leave enough room for the length of your wood, 20 inches should be fine.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

I had one of those 2x3 hobby arches that went straight-up and it worked well enough. If you have power, consider adding a blower - it will improve your evaporation rate rather significantly for that size evaporator. And you probably know this, but: only fill the firebox 1/2 full max., and add fuel frequently to optimize your evaporation rate. Or, fill it a little more, slow down a bit, crack a beer and enjoy having some friends over!
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

thanks for the replies. I will go with 90degrees and see how it works. I should be able to get the mod done before winter and give it a test boil with water. I did try out a blower last year with limited success. But it was free and off who knows what, I don't think it has the cfms I am after.

Without the restricted area in the back, you may have just been blowing the heat under the pan and out the stack.
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

That's what I was thinking. You need an obstruction to create turbulence on the way out so that more heat transfer takes place. Without it, you were likely cooling the sap in the pan. Injecting air over the top will ignite the volatile organic gasses and further increase evaporation rate and results in a cleaner burn as well.
    2023: Award Winning Maple Syrup and Honey!
    2023: 200 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: 150 Taps on 3/16" "natural vac"
    2022: Lapierre Vision 2x6 with Preheater & Marcland Autodraw
    2022: Brand new post and beam sugar house
    2022: 4"x40" RO
    Kubota L4701, Kubota BX2380
    2 Black Rescue Dogs, 2 Livestock Guardian Dogs, Many Bee Hives, A Flock of Icelandic Chickens
    30 Acres of Wooded Bliss
    vikingmadeforge: Artist Blacksmithing & Bladesmithing
    https://blackdogbeesandmapletrees.com

The blower was blowing air under the fire through my ash pan, so I think it was going right up the stack.... Which reminds me I would like to buy a stack thermometer to see what's happening with the temps

Quote Originally Posted by 30AcreWoods View Post
    That's what I was thinking. You need an obstruction to create turbulence on the way out so that more heat transfer takes place. Without it, you were likely cooling the sap in the pan. Injecting air over the top will ignite the volatile organic gasses and further increase evaporation rate and results in a cleaner burn as well.
    You want the air added below the grates to increase your temperature. Adding over the top would cool your pan. The ramped up portion forces all of the gasses to come in contact with the pan bottom. Otherwise it can short-circuit around the pan and up the stack.
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast