+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Refractometer Comparison

Default Digital Refractometer Comparison

Looking for insight on 2 digital refractometers and perspective on which is best. Has anyone used both? There is decent price difference and wondering if it's worth it:

Misco eMaple $470: https://www.misco.com/product/maple-...sugar-emaplef/

Hanna HI96801 $231:
    https://www.hannainst.com/hi96801-di...UaAg2jEALw_wcB
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

I purchased a Milwaukee MA871 a few years back and love it. I've never had any issues with it. It's on amazon for about 145.00. It looks a lot like the Hanna HI96801.

I just use the Murphy cup and gold series hydrometer, never had any issue. For sap I use a long sap hydrometer.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a murphy cup and "certified" gold series hydrometer and recently discovered it is off by almost 1 brix by testing with multiple refractometers used to judge competitions.

The hydrometer red line scale indicator is intact - the scale has not moved amd hydrometer is not damaged - just way off.

Looking for another method in addition to hydrometer/Murphy cup and optical refractometer.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

I’ve never liked the digital refractometers. I’ve had both and sold both. I never trusted it.
    The Murphy cup is great but you have to calibrate it every year at least. They have a guide to do it on their website.
    It tells you what temperature it should be reading at a certain brix on the dial. I usually have to tweak mine every year.
    I usually try to calibrate it to the 212 mark. So i boil a big pot of water. And then fill the Murphy cup. Dump it out. Full it again and dump it. Then fill it again and see where the dial is. If it’s off I adjust with the screws on the back.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Thank you Dr. Tim! Great research article!
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com

Hydrometer is the best way to go, especially when dealing with hot syrup. Use the chart to adjust brix based on temp. Digital units dont work well with hot syrup, especially for almost 500$ its a waste, 30$ buy a new hydrometer yearly.
    Seldom Seen Farm
    Montville Ohio.
    Seldomseenmaple.com

Thanks for posting this question. I've been thinking about digital refractometers recently. I really like using the Hannah Checker for grading syrup and it would be nice to have something quick and accurate like that for checking density. It's true the hydrometer is the best bet for hot syrup. I have an optical refractometer that's no use there and the hydrometer along with the temperature compensation charts and corrections tables get the job done accurately and fairly quickly.

Aside from finishing the syrup, though there are a lot of times where the digital refractometer would be a good option. I check the density of raw sap, after the first pass, and then the second pass. I also check the density when I open my bulk containers before bottling all year long. I also keep bees, so having something for honey would be nice, too. Most of my density checks aren't with hot liquids.

It's not a refractometer vs. hydrometer question for me. I'll use both. Back to the OP - does anyone have input on the Misco vs. the Hannah? At half the price, does the Hannah hold up to the Misco accuracy?
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    Thanks for posting this question….. Back to the OP - does anyone have input on the Misco vs. the Hannah? At half the price, does the Hannah hold up to the Misco accuracy?
    I can’t speak for the Hanna but I’ve had a Misco for 12 years now. One big difference is the Misco has a cap to cover the prison where as the Hanna looks like it’s open. Keeping it covered minimizes evaporation of the sample and a truer reading.
    Also from my experience in competition, the readings I get on entries never vary more than .01% from what judges grade at. I think in this case you get what you paid for, applies. Hot syrup out of the bottler needs 1-2 minutes to settle for a good reading, room temp is much shorter. I’d recommend the Mksco.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast