+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stack questions

Default Stack questions

I just received my 2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi on Wednesday. We are installing the stack tomorrow. Just had a few questions before I go and get all the supplies.

1. The cap that came with the evaporator is a rope operated cap.
    Obviously I’m going to use stainless wire cable for it. But where do I run the rope ? Drill a hole in the roof ? Seems kind of silly. Is there a different way of doing it ?

2. The kit came with a roof Jack and a top flashing. I’m used to installing double walled chimney pipe and I usually high temp caulk around the roof Jack and then install the top flashing. Then caulk again. Don’t really have this option with the single walled pipe since it will be Probley above the temp rated for the high heat caulking. What is a good way to seal it. ?

3. Do I need to pre drill the holes for the stainless pipe or will stainless self tappers be ok for connecting the pipe. ?

For some reason I can not post pictures. Keeps saying upload failed when I try to upload pictures.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I ran a medium gauge SS wire rope for mine. I have a steel roof and I just, from underneath used a nail very slightly larger and the wire rope diameter, and punched 2 holes, just out past the roof jack. It worked perfectly and I never detected any leaks getting thru. If you don't have a steel roof, I'd likely punch thru the outer edge of the roof jack from underneath before you install the jack.
    On mine I then attached the opener wire rope at 1 side of the arch and th closer wire rope to the other side. But on mine I got a defective flip top cap that was welded in the wrong position (at a good price), so I attached the one side to the arch with just the right length of wire rope, and on the other side i had to attach the wire rope to hold the cap open. If that hadn't worked so well I was going to cut off the rull lever , reposition it and reweld it, but it was not necessary. The issue was that the lid would go too far over and I had to get up on the roof to flip it back, the way I did it solved the over travel problem.
    My old 2x6 with flip cap worked perfectly, pull one rope it opened, pull the other it closed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks Dave,
    I do have a metal roof on our shack. So I’ll try your method.

What about sealing the stack at the roof flashing. Is there any type of silicone that everyone uses. I have the high temp RTV chimney silicone. But it’s only good for 500 degrees.
    I’m sure the temp will be a lot higher then that.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

if you look around you should be able to find some high temp silicone rated for 2300 degrees.
    2017 140 taps 30x8 12x16 shack 28.5 gal
    2018 158 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 44 gal
    2019 223 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 36 gal
    2020 226 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 63 gal
    2021 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 37 gal
    2022 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 55 gal
    2023 235 taps 30x8 12x16 waterloo ro 50 gal
    2024 54gal

For the hole where the cable somes through you can put a bead of sealant in an arc around the hole on the high side of it. That way water running on the roof surface will be deflected around it.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

I ended up using a 1/8” stainless cable and since our stack is about 24” from the gable end it worked out that I just put a small pully on the side of the soffit and can pull straight down and cap opens all the way. Works great. No need for a hole.

I’ve looked everywhere for a high temp silicone or exterior sealer that is above 800 degree rated and they don’t exist unless you want to spend $242 for a caulking tube of it.
    CDL put some sorting Grey sealer on my roof Jack. So gonna see if they will let me in on their secret.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I'm in the same boat-single walled pipe through the roof and nothing I have tried works to seal the storm collar. One fellow on here recommended chimney sealant. He found some on amazon/ebay and is good up to 1500*F. It worked for him. I haven't found any so far. I've been considering Smoky Lake's double walled exhaust (different than concentric exhaust) but you already have a roof jack and stack cap so that probably isn't an option for you.
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

Smoky Lake 2x4 raised flue on Corsair arch
    The RO Bucket 80gph Single Post
    100 taps on buckets

Daniel, for safeties sake I believe you should be using double wall pipe through the roof. This is because of the high Temps and reduces the risk of a fire.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

i haven't been able to find anything with enough heat resistance to last. what i do is once i'm done the season, i put a bead of regular silicone sealant around the storm collar. after the first time i use it when the season starts, it burns off, so it's doesn't work during the season, but it does work during the 9 other months.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    Daniel, for safeties sake I believe you should be using double wall pipe through the roof. This is because of the high Temps and reduces the risk of a fire.
    Sorry, this was my fault. I should have mentioned it's a metal roof, no underlayment. I had to take out a section of a purlin in the pole barn (or really, lean-to addition to the pole barn) to accommodate the high stack temps/provide good clearance to combustibles.
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

Smoky Lake 2x4 raised flue on Corsair arch
    The RO Bucket 80gph Single Post
    100 taps on buckets

+ Reply to Thread