+ Reply to Thread

Thread: small qty bulk sales

Hybrid View

Default small qty bulk sales

For those of you who sell a small amount bulk, where do you/who do you sell it to? i usually have between 2 to 4, 40gal barrels that another producer has been taking for me and selling it with his. he boils off of 10-15,000 taps. while this has been working for me, it seems as though it's probably a p.i.t.a for him... although he says it isn't. i'd rather sell my product direct to the buyer myself so i'm not inconveniencing him. i've called a hand full of bulk buyers and they aren't really interested in buying a couple of barrels from a small producer. there has to be a few places that would buy good syrup in smaller quantities... right?
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

I sell to Bascom in NH. He will usually buy from smaller guys. Usually if I sell bulk it is 2-4 barrels. You deliver to him in NH and walk out with a check. Usually I do some shopping too.
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

I have not had a problem taking 3 or 4 40s to Bascom’s. They do require to call ahead to set up a dock time.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I haven't tried Bascoms. i've been trying outfits closer to me. It's a bit of a drive for me, but would certainly be worth it. Thanks for the info guys. it's very much appreciated!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Give Bascoms a try and you can do some shopping for next season.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Quote Originally Posted by NhShaun View Post
    Give Bascoms a try and you can do some shopping for next season.
    Ya, the boys at Bascom ain't dumb. Pretty good chance you will do some shopping while there
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I drove to Bascoms a few times to sell bulk back in my early days before I had enough customers. I drove there from much farther away than you would be, I'm half way between Syracuse and Utica, NY.
    Since my sales got as good as they are I have only sold bulk if I had extra dark or commercial, for the lighter grdes, especially Amber and dark I sell all of my production, and because I do, I'll be getting back into producing again, hopefully in 2024.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave, That is really good to hear. Are you going to buy a smaller rig since you sold your large one?
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I drove to Bascoms a few times to sell bulk back in my early days before I had enough customers. I drove there from much farther away than you would be, I'm half way between Syracuse and Utica, NY.
    Since my sales got as good as they are I have only sold bulk if I had extra dark or commercial, for the lighter grdes, especially Amber and dark I sell all of my production, and because I do, I'll be getting back into producing again, hopefully in 2024.
    That is great to hear Dave. Sounds like your health must be improving. That’s great news.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

You could try holding on to the syrup until later in the year when packers might be more eager to pay more than the current rate. The spring rate seems to have nothing to do with supply and demand. Assuming that supply will dwindle by the end of the year could get you another 0.20 to 0.40 per pound- or not.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread