+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Houses 2023

Default Open Houses 2023

Well,made the four hour trek to the open houses,hardly worth the trip. Started at Leader,no evaporator running for demonstration,that’s what sold me when I first saw the vortex in operation.Went inside,everything moved around,hard to find stuff,and as a note for all dealers,would be nice if prices were displayed or at least in the catalogs to save you from sticker shock at the checkout. Caught a helpful dealer from Ohio to help me find what I was looking for,checkout painfully slow,saw a number of people putting their stuff down and leaving,no hotdogs being served until 12 sharp,done shopping so headed to Lapierre. Again no evaporator running,cold meat sandwich,look around at the prices and suffered sticker shock. Marty good thing you’ve got your Force 5, there was a 3x12 Force 5 extreme there,gentleman beside me stated no smoke stacks or steam stacks included,$64,000 !!!!!!!!! Then onto DSD at roadway into Lapierre,chatted a bit with them,told him I have gone to exclusively DSD saddles,over 500 installed,said he was happy to hear that. Next onto CDL,they had an evaporator running,oil fired,not a tremendous boil or steam. Looking at various evaporators in the tent,saw a huge and tall unit,was their steam fired version,dealer told me didn’t know the price,they are all custom built for the customer. Looked inside,lots of people shopping. Next onto Dominion and Grimm,new airtight evaporator set up,but long done firing at 2, open house until 4. Couldn’t see or find out a lot about the evaporator. Went inside,pretty quiet,got a rod for cleaning out the tube on the butter machine,time I went outside already draining water from the evaporator. Stopped back by Leader again on way home,picked up new gasket for steam away,got to visit with Bruce Gillilan. All in all I have to say not really worth the trip
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Also made the trip. It might not have been as extravagant as previous years but I enjoyed a chance to see different equipment and talk to people about sugaring. We were at D&G when they were shutting down the airtight because of the heavy rain in forecast.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Definitely well worth the trip for me - of course I only traveled 45 minutes from home.

But I could have traveled multiple hours and felt satisfied. Where else could you go to see all the major manufacturers with their technical experts having open houses on one weekend and all within about 10 mile radius? And, if you came all the way to VT for a free meal, then you get what you paid for.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

We made the 4 hour trip and were happy with it. I was also frustrated about the prices not being on the items. CDL had one of those scanner guns that you could check the price, but the gun was a hard-wired gun so you had to drag whatever you wanted a price on to the gun. Lapierre prices were wild but I was impressed with the quality of their work. I was in the market for an RO and possibly a cream machine. I ended up getting a Memprotec 200H, which wasn't even one of the ones we were originally looking at so going to the show was worth it. We also bought a Leader cream machine. Leader had free local beer which my buddy loved.

The worst thing for us was finding a hotel. We had to drive to Plattsburg to stay at a Super 8...
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

I didn't even bother with it this year. It's getting kinda like the logging expo and farmers show where every year they tend to get cheaper and cheaper with what they are doing. I'll probably need to go in the coming years for the kids but I'm hoping they start showing more equipment and have classes going on throughout the day. Disappointing to hear leader didn't have better food options because that was the only reason I ever went there.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

The Bascomb Open House and Spring Equipment Sale is Friday/Saturday, May 5-6. https://bascommaple.com/pages/open-h...ment-sale-2023

Hope to see and chat with some of you there.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    The Bascomb Open House and Spring Equipment Sale is Friday/Saturday, May 5-6. https://bascommaple.com/pages/open-h...ment-sale-2023

We will be there! I am looking forward to meeting you!
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Marty good thing you’ve got your Force 5, there was a 3x12 Force 5 extreme there,gentleman beside me stated no smoke stacks or steam stacks included,$64,000 !!!!!!!!!
    Yikes! It has been 14 years since we ordered ours so i was curious how much pricing had increased.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Dang, wish I could be there! Ironically, I probably could if I hadn't made maple syrup this year. Now too far behind on other projects to get to any open houses! Hope many people make it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post

I thought Abby from Proctor gave a great presentation on tree size and a second tap -- well worth the trip right there. Also, the tour of the Branson operation was simply amazing -- they really thought it through and it shows.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast