+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxelder for Evaporator Firewood

Default Boxelder for Evaporator Firewood

Anyone use boxelder for evaporator firewood?
    Someone told me recently to watch out, don't use boxelder (a conversation about sources of free wood in a neighborhood setting. Boxelder is a common to get removed).
    But I'm not sure if this person knows that softwood is good for boiling maple sap.
    So, asking here specifically about the boxelder, though also wondering if there is any species that ought to be avoided.
    I have only used propane so far but I'm going to start collecting firewood for a likely 2025 conversion to wood as fuel.
    Andy
    Last edited by Andy VT; 04-16-2023 at 07:59 PM.

Box Elder is OK firewood for an evaporator. While not the best, it burns good and the only issue will be that it will need to be fired more often.
    I burned it but as part of a mixed wood not just box elder. Basically I say, burn what you can get, if dry it all burns.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I also will burn boxelder along with whatever wood is available. Boxelder, when dry will burn very hot but also very quick. This year I burned boxelder, maple, poplar, walnut, linden, and dimensional lumber. I have always said that the best wood for the evaporator is free wood. The only wood to avoid is green unseasoned wood.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

I've burned a lot of it in my evaporator. It's great when mixed with ash. I also burn plenty in my woodstove. Not as much heat per cord as other stuff, but there sure isn't anything wrong with it.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

While not the best firewood, it burns better than snowballs. My main complaint is that it absorbs water very fast after it is dry. Best to keep that one covered and out of the rain so you are not cursing wet firewood

Hey after this snow storm I have part of a large tree down in my yard. Come and get it!!! You can have my neighbors too.

Thanks, that's helpful. Yeah, wouldn't be all boxelder, but it would likely be in the mix. Basically whatever comes down in the neighborhood that I can catch before it goes through the chipper. Possibly the occasional smaller stuff that I can take down. Oh, won't the neighbors be excited about a ramshackle stack of wood to look at. :-)

Just curious you ever check sugar content of the Box Elders, had a former friend that had several Box Elders along the Shenandoah River, a little disagreement in 2009 and never got to check the sugar content?
    Mark220maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

I tapped the boxelder in my yard just out of curiosity one year. I think it was like 80-1. The syrup was really light, tasted good on the front but left a not so good after taste. I know some people do tap them as they are in the maple family.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm1 View Post
    I tapped the boxelder in my yard just out of curiosity one year. I think it was like 80-1. The syrup was really light, tasted good on the front but left a not so good after taste. I know some people do tap them as they are in the maple family.
    There are certain times in the flow when a bitter aftertaste can develop. I've made syrup from mine a few times. Early syrup gets a blackberry like flavor, then it transitions to buttery-marshmallow, then nearly full maple flavor, then dark and maple-ish with a bitter flavor.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast