+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Off-Season Storage of Reverse Osmosis Machine... should the tubing be dry?

Default Off-Season Storage of Reverse Osmosis Machine... should the tubing be dry?

Because our syruping season has come to a close, it is time to hibernate the Reverese Osmosis machine! Mine, like many others here, is a home-built version utilizing the AquaTec 8852 pump, a five-micron sediment filter, and four 150 gpd membranes. I have flushed the machine, performed a RO soap wash for one hour (pH at 11), followed by a through flushing until the pH level returned to the level of water, then recirculated using Citric Acid (pH at 2.5) for another hour, and finally flushed until the pH reached that of water again. The four membranes were removed and stored with preservative (Metabisulfite Sodium) inside PVC tubing. I think that this is the recommended preparation activities for cleaning prior to off-season storage.

I have a question regarding the 'tubing' on the machine itself. Liquid still remains in much of the tubing AND because microbial growth does not require but a trace of any leftover / trapped sap or any contamination for that matter, I am unsure if I should attempt to remove this remaining liquid and permit complete air-drying of the tubing? Simply capping of the lines from atmospheric oxygen probably is not a good choice because of the likelihood of anaerobic bacteria growth(?).

Someone had stated earlier that their AquaTec 8852 stopped pumping because it was their understanding that the diaphragm to designed to stay wet during periods of non-use. This may or may not be true because, unfortunately, there is MUCH incorrect information out on the internet... heck, I am wrong a LOT but I am trying to learn!!! I would be very interested to know if others have any experience in one way or the other regarding proper off-season AquaTec 8852 pump storage (wet / dry... or does it even matter?).

I don't RO, but think it would be best to ensure everything is completely clean and bone-dry before you store it. Microorganisms don't need much moisture to get a foothold and begin multiplying.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Go to RO Bucket or CDL Nano website and check out their end of season storage directions.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Once we are done for the season I do all the cleaning and flushing. Then i mix up the Sodium metabisulphate mixture in the wash tank and just turn on the feed pump and let it circulate through the entire system for 10 minutes or so.
    I then take my membranes out and put them in the storage canisters and add more sodium metabisulphate mixture untill the membrane and canister will not take any more.
    I now know that my RO and membranes have been treated with it and nothing will grow in it. Most of the time there is still a significant amount of liquid in it when I get it back out in the spring. Never had anything nasty grow in it at all.
    This year I’m going to be storing mine in an unheated building so it will be the same process. But I’m going to have to run antifreeze through the RO after the membranes are out and drain it.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I remove the 8852 from the RO cabinet after the final rinse and store it in my basement. It just finished its 8 th or 9 th season on the original diaphragm.
    Sugaring since 2000.
    2022 - 113 taps on tubing and gravity. Homemade evaporator and RO.
    2023 - 120 taps on 5/16 and gravity added a float to the pan an built a new 5x400gpd RO

Thanks fellow syrupers!!! With the plethora of practically instant search results, it is hard to distinguish realistic 'best practices' from someone, like me (very much a novice), 'one-time' experiences. Prior to posting my question, I did look at the RO Bucket site but was a bit confused as they recommend 'dry' for long-term storage of the unit; however, also stated was the membranes are to stay full of water (presumably while still connected to the rest of the apparatus)... I understand the preservative bit but found the instructions lacking on clarity - so, it is wet OR dry storage?

One thing I will definitely be following is leaving the sediment filter TOTALLY empty and dry. I had read somewhere that the new five-micron filter used for soap & acid washing was safe to leave in place during storage since it couldn't be contaminated (I used many gallons of distilled water for the RO Soap & Acid washing and rinsing)... upon taking my machine out of storage this year, something very nasty had grown on that five-micron filter - this is what started my initial inquiry.

I did disconnect all the push-fittings, allow as much gravity drainage as possible, and blew out all of the tubing and fittings with compressed air. After letting it remain apart for a couple of days to facilitate any additional evaporation of droplets adhering to the walls, I will reassemble totally dry and wait until next year's season to commence. 82cabby - thanks for sharing your snippet about your storage practices for the pump as that was causing me grief (as I certainly did not want to ruin the pump's diaphragm by storing incorrectly which is also something I had read).

I think the major take-away here for me is to be careful about what I read!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
    82cabby[/B] - thanks for sharing your snippet about your storage practices for the pump as that was causing me grief (as I certainly did not want to ruin the pump's diaphragm by storing incorrectly which is also something I had read).D
    ��. I’ve had great luck handling it that way. But, fwiw, can’t source a replacement diaphragm for that pump. That pump has a 3 degree cam and the only replacement diaphragm I can find is for the 8800 which is 2.5 degrees.
    Sugaring since 2000.
    2022 - 113 taps on tubing and gravity. Homemade evaporator and RO.
    2023 - 120 taps on 5/16 and gravity added a float to the pan an built a new 5x400gpd RO

+ Reply to Thread