+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap tank cleaning

Default Sap tank cleaning

I have both stainless steel tanks (old milk tanks) as well as some IBC totes (I know stainless is better...) as I'm sure a lot of you do as well. How do you clean your tanks for the end of the season, both stainless and plastic?
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Plenty of CLEAN water...hot if you have it. Just a little bit of bleach (regular, unscented). Scrub the sides with a brush or use a pressure washer. Rinse copiously several times. Invert if you can.

Same for the totes. If they're portable, put hot water with a little bleach and drive around with them on the truck for a bit. If not, scrub (you may need to get inside). Alternatively use a pressure washer. Rinse copiously several times. Drain as best you can (turn up on side if possible). Cover loosely.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

We do as Dr. Tim suggested. Except in the IBC totes, we coat them with Sani-clean, the low foaming product. Works great, the only ones that have anything in them the following year are the ones we cut a hole in the top and are not airtight. Hot water rinse again the following spring before we put the totes back out.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

This is my first season with hot water at the sugar shack, What a difference that makes when cleaning tanks! Looking back at washing with cold water, it was just never enough to get the tanks as clean as i wanted.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

+ Reply to Thread