+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum Pump

Default Vacuum Pump

I have 400 taps on about 2100 feet of 3/4 mainline with a mix of 3/16 and 5/16 laterals
    I have been using a 115 volt Shurflo but have trouble finding vacuum leaks.
    Would a Guzzler work on this system and should I look for a single or double diaphragm pump?
    Do Guzzler pumps come in different sizes?
    What pump would you guys recommend?

Thanks

We run a double guzzler. 25-26# vac all year. Excellent setup for us, all in 5/16. Have moved most of our mains to 1"

I would look for a double guzzler. We had a single on 400. It worked good, but with planned expansion and two areas of short ladders a true vacuum pump was in the future.

I believe true guzzlers are plumbed for 1 1/4" fittings. I would recommend a length of 1 1/4" pipe for a short distance from the unit. This helps manage iceing issues. Plus we were swapping our mainlines over to 1" as we replaced them when we had the guzzler. This gives more room for sap to flow should there be a sag with some ice.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

The key to using a Guzzler (diaphragm pump) is to keep things TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT. Because these types of pumps don't move a lot of CFM of air (they're made to move liquid), any moderate to large leak will result in a sizeable drop in vacuum -- which only makes finding leaks more challenging. You'll also see that when the trees warm up a bit, the gases they produce will drop the vacuum level more than with other styles of pumps. A double-diaphragm pump will help a good bit with that.

A good rule of thumb is to take what the equipment dealers tell you those pumps can handle in terms of number of taps and cut it in half, unless you're really good at leak-checking.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    The key to using a Guzzler (diaphragm pump) is to keep things TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT. Because these types of pumps don't move a lot of CFM of air (they're made to move liquid), any moderate to large leak will result in a sizeable drop in vacuum -- which only makes finding leaks more challenging. You'll also see that when the trees warm up a bit, the gases they produce will drop the vacuum level more than with other styles of pumps. A double-diaphragm pump will help a good bit with that.

A good rule of thumb is to take what the equipment dealers tell you those pumps can handle in terms of number of taps and cut it in half, unless you're really good at leak-checking.
    I really like that idea of vacuum pump sizing. Does that go for releasers and such as well or is it better to aim for the correct size ones to avoid long cycle times?
    2018 - 20 Taps on 3/16, Barrel evaporator with 2 steam pans. Unknown amount.
    2019 - Nothing
    2020 - 30 Taps on Shurflo, 30 taps on 3/16, 2x5 oil tank evaporator, 11 Gallons.
    2021 - 35 Taps on Shurflo, 11 buckets, RB10 RO Bucket, 2x3XL Mason Evaporator. 4 gallons
    2022 - 110 Taps on Shurflo, 77 taps on 3/16 gravity, 13 buckets to hit 200, Upgrade to RB15 RO Bucket.
    2023 - 110 Taps on Shurflo, New 3/4 Mainline with 125 taps, 2x4 raised flue, Upgrade to Homemade 4x40 RO.

+ Reply to Thread