+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olde wives' tales about sugaring

Default Olde wives' tales about sugaring

Hey all! How many of you have heard the old trope of sticking a hunk of wood in a spile hole, supposedly to prevent bugs and infection from setting it?

My neighbour, a total sugaring noob, told me that he did that to his trees after reading about doing it on the interwebz.

Knowing his background as a paramedic, I pointed out that with a would you have to flush it out.

'Yeah', he said, 'then you pack it'.

To which I retorted: 'Yeah, with something sterile, not bits of stick off the ground.' I had clearly got up his a$$ somewhat by then, so said no more (he's now a cop lol).

Still, where did this old wives tale originate?!
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Definitely do not stick anything in the holes,it will take the tree much longer to heal
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Definitely do not stick anything in the holes,it will take the tree much longer to heal
    My thoughts exactly. Doubtful that he will listen though. Fragile male ego and all that
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Galena View Post
    Still, where did this old wives tale originate?!
    I think it's one of those things that if you don't know about something it makes sense. Then when you think about it some more, it doesn't make any sense. We know what the tree does and how it closes up but people think it hurts the tree and that the tree will always have the hole. I get asked that all the time. I actually have pictures of the healed up tap holes to show people at farmers markets.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

How do we feel about the one about the wind?
    When the wind is from the west the sap runs best.
    When the wind is from the north the sap runs forth.
    When the wind is from the south the sap runs drought and
    When the wind is from the east the sap runs the least.
    173 on 3/16 natural vac for 2023
    36 buckets
    2 x 5 Smoky Lake Hybrid pan on a custom arch
    RB25 from RO Bucket
    12x24 salvaged sugarhouse built by wife's grandpa
    1965 Massey Ferguson 165 tractor to haul sap.

Quote Originally Posted by billyinvt View Post
    How do we feel about the one about the wind?
    When the wind is from the west the sap runs best.
    When the wind is from the north the sap runs forth.
    When the wind is from the south the sap runs drought and
    When the wind is from the east the sap runs the least.
    I think that's more of a parable. Looks like someone was more concerned with rhyming than it being a hard and fast rule!

Now, stupid question: how do you tell what direction your trees 'face'?
    Been tapping since 2008.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

How about (my comments in parentheses)?

Always tap on the south side of the tree (wrong).
    Only tap over a large root or under a large branch (wrong).
    Vacuum damages trees (wrong)

And surely to be hot topics....

Non-RO syrup tastes better than RO syrup (not borne out by research including blind taste-testing).
    Syrup made over a wood fire is better than syrup over an oil fire (no research done, but if you syrup has a smoky flavor, it is technically off-flavor).
    Conventional syrup (non-organic) syrup is the same as organic syrup (there may be differences, but most pertain to sustainability and record-keeping)
    Tapping doesn't harm trees (tapping creates a small wound which is ok and the tree will recover well if tapping is done sustainably).
    Cutting trees is more profitable than tapping (depends on the time period you look at...but in the long run, maple syrup production is more profitable).
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

What about

-Don't tap until town meeting day. (it's a Vermont thing)
    -Sugaring doesn't start until the brooks open up. (Can anyone explain what open up means?)
    -Sap wont flow unless the eves are running.
    -You can only boil at night. (I've been water boil in the daytime)
    -Frog run is the end of boiling (seen people go past that with some success)

These are all some of my favorites that haven't been listed yet. Yes, I will most likely pass them down to my kids (with explanations) so the cycle will continue (at least in my small pocket of paradise). There is some merit from some of these, and I have no problems learning from the past to elevate the future it's just reading between the lines needs to be applied. Traditional sayings shouldn't be forgotten in my opinion.

To answer your original question, I think these sayings or wives tales are location specific and originated from generations in the trade trying to explain and predict what is happening. You gotta take into account many of these sayings came before there was much research and widespread communication. So, when my great great grandfather told my great grandfather the sap won't run today because the eves aren't running that was likely true for buckets back then. Now research and technology alter that truth a bit.

I feel that putting a stick into the spent tap hole is not an olde wives tale but just a refusal to use good sources, old or new. An old timer never would have done that.
    I do see it come up a lot in the social media sugaring pages.... but seems to get corrected with a chorus of "don't do its" so there may be hope.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by ecp View Post
    Now research and technology alter that truth a bit.
    I wouldn't say science alters the truth, just makes different truths more evident.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast