+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121323 ... LastLast

Thread: February Journal 08, GO TIME

Theron= you won't even think that you have sugared when you get done this spring compared to all the work that you used to go thru, believe me. When I used to make 8-900 gallons a year with raw sap I wasn't fun to be around at the end of the season. Then I went to making that much in 2 or 3 days sometimes and it didn't even feel like I had worked at all with all of the new technology.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

Theron,

Boiling raw sap sucks. Once you are up and running try doing it without the RO and you will find out what you missed when you bypassed that step of the expansion. You're going to love it.

Russ
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Russ and Jerry- Got the ro in and pretty much all hooked up. I think its going to be real nice. It has the directions on the front and Todds coming back first run to run it for me. It appears to be real user friendly. Only valves are two shutoff valves for the 1.5" lines. Everything thats swapped around is done by valves on the front of the panel. Below the pressure valves their are selector valves you can turn each way to select what you want to do. I think im going to love it once I run it. Very expensive but ive been up for days boiling before and im sick of it so thats that. Once its paid for Ill be glad I did it and it should last a long time. Still hooking things up everything takes for ever but almost done. Theeeeron

The Crows Are Cawing The Trees Are Thawing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-...07826&metric=0

We're sinking some taps today in Sussex County, NJ. Depending on how sunny it is, the forecasted temps may give us a bit of an early flow . I have access to enough trees this year that I can take the chance on the early taps sealing up and still have more than enough sap from those I tap later.

Laughing, because we are soooo not ready. We did 10x the prep we did last year, but acquiring a little bit of knowledge is a terrible thing. I know just enough now to realize how much more we could do and how much more equipment we could use.

Wow- just looked at the 15 day forcast,,,might be time to start spending alot more time in the sugarwoods getting all things ready,,was thinking it was going to be a late start to the season,BUT,,,,,gonna run adaptors this year for the long haul,,last boil last year was april 23,,,the ground not being frozen coupled with some ideal looking temps just might tempt me,,,,,wonder where I left those tapping bits???off to the sugarhouse,,,,,,
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Ran some tubing yesterday and put in about 80 taps. We have more tubing to run and another 220 taps to go. It made it into forties here today in s.w. pa. but it didn't run. The weather for this week looks good.Two days in the fourties and one day in the high fifties. Maybe we will have a sap flood. I wish all a super syrup season.

Andyp

AndyP,
    Push some steam! good luck in 08!

Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Guys- Worked all weekend and Im getting pretty close to ready. Im pretty postative Ill be ready to put my tools away and have everything done to make syrup by the end of this weekend. Thinking about running another 50 taps too. Just being done building is going to be heaven. I dont think ive had one day at home since last January that I wasnt working on this stuff. Sugarmasters man Todd brought over the ro the other day and hooked it all up and also helped me figure out my evap. If you guys have an equipment dealer thats half as professional as Richard your lucky. Hes helped me through every part of this process the whole year and its not like he isnt a busy man with 70,000 taps. Good luck to anyone tapping. Im thinking about maybe tapping this weekend but im not sure at all. Ill probly wait the one more week and tap the 16th but ill look at the forecast friday and see. Have a happy. Theron

Theron

Another 50 taps?!?!? Like the rest of us, you are a glutten for punishment. Good Luck, I am going to try and make it up this season to visit when you are in full swing.

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121323 ... LastLast