+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air under the fire

Default Air under the fire

I've done some searches and haven't come up with what I'm looking for.
    I have a 18x60 Lapierre Vision, with a raised flue pan. i know an over the air is the most effective but i don't want to change the fire chamber at this time.
    The air would come in through the back of the ash pit.

Should the air be distributed through a manifold, and if so ,what should it look like? or should it just be dumped in ?

I have the same evaporator. I started with a small 6” desk fan. Then upgraded to a harbor freight ventilation fan with a foot switch. Works awesome. Just open the draft door, push the fan up to it and hit the foot switch when it’s time to load wood. Zero ash and super hot fires. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-spee...wer-61729.html https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...tch-57200.html
    Hillcrest Maples
    2024- 200 on Guzzler, new home built 2 post, SL vac filter
    2023-100 on Shurflo, new 2 Post 4x40 RO Bucket
    2022- 150 on Shurflo, new 16x36 Sugar House and 18x48 Vision, Dual RB 25's RO's
    2021- 150 on Shurflo, home made arch under 18x40 cdl pan, RB 20 RO
    2020- 99 On Shurflo home made arch under 18x40 cdl pan
    2019- 10 buckets, steam pan on grill
    2018- 5 spiles into milk jugs, stove top, caught the maple bug hard.

I ran AUF on my last evaporator by entering from the rear down low. I plumbed it into a 4" heavy gauge round duct. It reached in all but 4" from the front, and there I capped it. I had 3 rows of holes, one top center and one on each side facing the outer grates. Each row was 5/16" about every 2.5-3", but mine was on a high pressure blower. If you are going to use a squirrel cage blower, the same idea will work, but I think you will want the holes larger. Try 3/8" and see how it does, if more air is needed drill the holes 1/8" larger and see if more is needed. Repeat until you find the right size.
    While I had a high pressure blower, most will use a squirrel cage blower.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by nhdog View Post
    I've done some searches and haven't come up with what I'm looking for.
    I have a 18x60 Lapierre Vision, with a raised flue pan. i know an over the air is the most effective but i don't want to change the fire chamber at this time.
    The air would come in through the back of the ash pit.

Should the air be distributed through a manifold, and if so ,what should it look like? or should it just be dumped in ?
    The first blower you need is Air Under Fire. Air over fire needs air under fire too. You will see a pretty big improvement adding a blower to your ash pit either through the ash door like Hillcrest suggested or cutting a hole in the back side of the ash pit and putting it there. Dave’s comments are good but don’t really apply to you because a 3’x8’ evaporator has much more room to add stuff to than a 18”x60” evaporator does.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I have a Mason 2x3XL. I don't know about "should", but I just cut a hole in the back of the ash box, bolted the fan to that, and that's that. I also stopped down the fan and found that for mine, about 1/3 open seems to work well. As I say, I don't know if what I did is "correct", but my boil rate did go from 7.5 GPH before blower to 11.5 GPH after. I also use a lot more wood.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

+ Reply to Thread