+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H2O RO Low Feed Pump Pressure

Default H2O RO Low Feed Pump Pressure

I have an H2O Econox 600 RO machine they're shutting off because of low pressure

My before prefilter pressure is about 40psi, and the after prefilter pressure is only 18 psi. In the off-season, my after filter pressure gauge maxed out, so I don't know what it used be, but I know it's not 18 PSI. Because of the low pressure, it will not stay running during my rinse cycle. I have run it with, and without, a filter inside the housing and still no go.

Is there an issue in the feed pump because it's not building pressure? Can this be fixed?

Can the pressure switch setting be changed, so I can get through the season? This year, I was planning on bringing the RO back to H2O anyways to have them go through it, but I need to do something to get me through the end of the season.

Thanks for your help.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

There might be somthing in the feed pump turbine that is not letting it build pressure. I had a mouse build a nest in mine years ago, he got in through the drain that i left open in the off season.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

My cdl has a stainless Goulds feed pump. The plastic diffuser broke somehow a couple years ago. That gave me low pressure issues. Replaced diffuser and good as new.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Do I take the pump cover off to inspect? I can try that tomorrow.

Thanks guys

Quick update.

From the feed pump, I removed the drain plug and discharge pipe, so I could see inside the pump head. All looked good as far as I could tell.

What I don't understand is why there's 40psi before filter and 18 psi after filter...why the 20+psi pressure drop when there isn't a filter in the housing...that doesn't make sense.

From what I can see, there isn't a clog in the piping: from perm. tank to RO (all 1.5" PVC supply line) and between the pressure sensing points (some of the piping is clear).

I'm working with H2O to lower the low pressure off setting to at least get me through the season.

Do you change the filter daily? You should!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

There is definitely a plug somewhere. Is there a line going to the pressure gauge and the low pressure switch from the filter housing or anywhere after the filter housing ?
    I had problems with my gauges last year and it ended up being a little piece of scale or minute piece of something that got by the filter. It got stuck in the orfice of the switch. I had to use a sewing needle and just poke it and rinse it out.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I do change the filter regularly.

I checked the lines going to the pressure gauge and pressure switch, and they're all clear.

For a temp fix, since the before filter pressure gauge is reading 40+ psi, I sent that line to the pressure switch, and things are back up and running.

I concentrated last night, and the after filter gauge was reading 50-60 psi, so the low pressure issue is only on a rinse/wash cycle, and it doesn't matter what tank a pull from: sap, permeate/wash tanks, they all have low pressure. I'm not sure what's the difference in how the RO operates between wash/concentrate modes, but that seems to be the issue.

The machine is 10 years old, so this off-season I was going to bring the RO to H2O to have them go through it...it sounds like a great idea now.
    I'm up and running now, and the help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Is it happening only on the wash rinse cycle? On my Econox 600 when I wash or rinse I set my after filter pressure to 30 psi by the V3 valve. Thats according to H20 directions for wash rinse cycle.

Hello Amber Gold, personnally I would be carefull with changing the pressure setting on the feed pump swith or changing the location of the pressure switch because It seem like you have obstruction in your filter housing and if the pressure to the high pressure pump is low you will ruin your high pressure pump. I have buy a used Lapierre Turbo 250 this season and the owner told me he had just installed a new high pressure pump. I changed the bearing on all the other pumps (as maintenance before the season begins) and foundout that the feed pump impeller was full of wool & plastic parts. I beleive that the cause of the failure of the high pressure pump was from cavitation caused by the feed pump just barely pushing over 20 psi.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast