+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New RO Bucket Setup - is there a right way?

Default New RO Bucket Setup - is there a right way?

I'm lucky enough to live a short drive from Carl and his RO Bucket business. A few weeks back we purchased a kit that we have since expanded to match the performance of his RB 25 model. We've never done RO before, and he was great at explaining everything to me and it seems to be going pretty well. I've got a picture of my setup below. This was something I put together quick during the season, but I'm wondering if there is a correct way to align the components?

There is one issue I've had: prefilters. I blew one of the housings right apart (for seemingly no reason, Carl confirmed I didn't do anything wrong) and then I had one spring a serious leak where the housing threads on to the cap. My uncle seemed to think that its because of the sap this time of year, it gets thicker and harder to push through he said, but in total, I have only sent about 300 gallons of sap through the system.

Any insights on this? IMG-2337.jpgIMG-2337.jpg

Are you using a filter from Carl or something else? Perhaps some just can't flow or maybe you have bad luck. Looks just like my setup and I've run nearly 6000 gallons through it without a hitch. (knocks on wood)

I don't see a pressure gauge, do you have one to add to see what your pressure is?
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

I built a system like that and used it for a few years. Have since upgraded to a 4x40 can with a procon 250 psi stainless pump.
    Just looking at it, I would suggest feeding sap through the pre filter with a low pressure pump or gravity if you can get the sap high enough. Then from the pre filter into the high pressure pump and then into the RO canisters.
    Had the same leaks with my pre filter canister until I switched it up. Also, highly suggest a pressure gauge to monitor things.

We're on our second year of using the RB25. It has worked pretty well for us. I doubt this is your problem, but check to make sure the pre-filter housing has the o-ring in it. In our first year one time we didn't realize the o-ring had fallen out but we soon did!

I would also second the idea of a pressure gauge. We have one on ours. It helped me diagnose a problem with my unit this year (along with Carl's help).

Also, nice set-up for your RO. That's a brilliant idea, to mount on a large board all on one side, and move it by a dolly.
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

Smoky Lake 2x4 raised flue on Corsair arch
    The RO Bucket 80gph Single Post
    100 taps on buckets

I’ve got the same rig,I would definitely get a pressure gauge #1,#2 is the low pressure switch. It’s worth it’s weight in gold 👍🏻Especially when you’re running it late night and accidentally take a nappy 😴

Make sure your pre-filters are 5 micron and not 1 micron, and change them frequently. I made that error once. Things got a little weird.
    173 on 3/16 natural vac for 2023
    36 buckets
    2 x 5 Smoky Lake Hybrid pan on a custom arch
    RB25 from RO Bucket
    12x24 salvaged sugarhouse built by wife's grandpa
    1965 Massey Ferguson 165 tractor to haul sap.

+ Reply to Thread