+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you freeze sap after boiling?

Default Can you freeze sap after boiling?

I’ve got a turkey fryer set up, and I’m boiling down 10 gallons or so, and wondering if I can boil it down to a couple gallons, and freeze the remaining sap to combine with my final batch this week so I can finish it all at once.

Yes. Boiled sap will freeze at lower temp than water, but it will be fine. Boil it down as far as you can / are willing to do and then do the same for your next batch and then combine them (both near to syrup) to finish together.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

If you’re only trying to preserve it for a few days it’s not really necessary to freeze it. Refrigeration is fine and would save a lot of time and energy by skipping the freeze thaw process.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by ecolbeck View Post
    If you’re only trying to preserve it for a few days it’s not really necessary to freeze it. Refrigeration is fine and would save a lot of time and energy by skipping the freeze thaw process.
    Agreed. If only a week and it's cold...just keep it cold and in the shade. Pack it in snow. It will be fine.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

+ Reply to Thread