+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grassy Meadows Maple Syrup Tapped - 2008

lharris1 Guest

Default Grassy Meadows Maple Syrup Tapped - 2008

We tapped during the two warm day Monday & Tuesday. We put in about 270 on 1/28 and another 100 on 1/29. That is about 30 more than last year, 120 more than two years ago and nearly 200 more than our first year. We are about maxed out for our evaporator I guess. Although Claude mentioned that we have not had to evaporate 24 hours in row yet.

Sunny side taps ran good the two days and all ran some, but very slow. We probably have 100 gal at sugar house and another 100 in the field. We are waiting for the next run to start boiling which should be this weekend.

lharris1 Guest

We had a little sap run Friday and now have 220 gal in storage. Saturday should be the first good run and we will probably boil Saturday.

Question

Grassy Meadows; you guys need to put a steamaway on that 2x6 and you can double your taps! We have a Waterloo Small 2x6 with a steamaway and we can run 50 gallon per hour with it .We put an RO againist it this year and will run 1000 taps on vacuum through a 2x6.I'll have a lot more infomation in a couple of weeks when the sap starts running better I'll know how well she handles it. If we crunched the numbers right we should be able to draw 4 gallons per hour off the rig.I'll keep you posted

Jim
    Maple consultant for 50 years

lharris1 Guest

thanks Tim, we may want to look at a steam away. I would like to talk to you about yours.

Boiled off 220 gal Saturday, collected 240 on Sunday and another 100 Monday with some more to pick up - may be another 100. Boiled Monday and have 8-9 gal syrup. Sap is trailing off but may run some through the night. No more sap till at least Thursday. Runs have been kind of light so far. (posting by iPhone)

lharris1 Guest

Very warm today (upper 60's) with lots o sunshine. Long time since freeze and we did not expect much run - good surprise - collected about 360 gal. Canned just over 10 gal of a light medium. Rain and cool down comming tomorrow.

Iharris,
    How far are you guy off I-64, I pick my mother at the Mall near Huntington when my sister brings her from Kentucky, I would love to see your camp, I'll PM you when I have to make the trip down there to get her. Maybe we can get together?

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

lharris1 Guest

220 Mapler: We would really like for you to stop by fo a visit, but if you are coming down I79 you will be 100 miles west of us when you hit Charleston. West Virginia Mapler is only about 5 miles from us.

On wednesday finished collecting and boiling. We have had about 1100 gal. Of sap and have made 20 gal. of syrup. Looks like no more runs till at least Tuesday.

lpakiz Guest

Hey you Harris guys--
    This is a really long shot but I knew a Harris from Alderson WV in the 70s.
    Any connection to folks in that town?
    Larry

lharris1 Guest

lpakiz: We do not have relatives in Alderson, but my Dad's was a rural rout out of the Alderson Post Office.

lpakiz Guest

Hello Harris crew!
    This is really a coincidence--Jerry Harris' father was the postmaster in Alderson in 1971 (and before and after, I guess) 1971 is the year Jerry and I had this mandatory government job which sent us to Germany. (It was also called the US Army)

Thanks for the reply! We have about a month or more to wait before we even think of tapping here in Wisconsin...
    Larry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast