+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do sugar maples have high % sugar

Default Why do sugar maples have high % sugar

Hi all
    We run an evaporator during a maple festival that gets around 40,000 visitors so lots of questions about everything maple! One came up yesterday that I'd not thought of so looking to see if anyone knows the answer!

Why do maples, especially sugar maples, have such a high % sugar in their sap? Things don't evolve in nature without a reason so what is the evolutionary advantage that these trees gain by having higher sugar content than say birch or walnut?
    2023 - 130 taps, 90L from 4,000L as of mid March
    2021 - 84 taps, 50L from 2100L
    2020 - 100 taps on buckets, 21L syrup from 2700L so far (FEB 26-Mar 13) and then the pandemic hit! End of our season!
    2019 - 62 taps on buckets, 95L syrop from 3215L sap
    2018 - 62 taps, collecting by hand, 90L syrop from 3200L sap
    2017 - Lapierre Waterloo Small mini pro with 40 taps
    2014 - 2016 40 taps making one or two batches on a 2x6 flat pan over an open arch as it would have been done in 1900

I always assumed that maple trees had high sugar % sap because they generally have more foliage (leaf surface area) than other trees; definitely more than walnuts which have pretty little/scant foliage. Less foliage means less sugar producing capacity. This is just my assumption, but I'm sure there's a more accurate scientific explanation.
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by BCPP View Post
    Why do maples, especially sugar maples, have such a high % sugar in their sap? Things don't evolve in nature without a reason so what is the evolutionary advantage that these trees gain by having higher sugar content than say birch or walnut?
    Different trees have different anatomical and physiological strategies for dealing with the functions of life and stresses. We cannot say for sure why sugar maples tend to have a higher sap sugar content (just having substantial sugar in the xylem stream is unusual in itself), but the osmotic forces generated by high sucrose levels are helpful in the xylem embolism refilling process (water uptake from soil) in the spring. Emboli form in the vascular systems of plants due to subfreezing temperatures. Different types of trees cope with these emboli in the vascular system by a host of different mechanisms. Maples (a "diffuse porous species") do this by generating stem pressure that helps to redissolve the bubbles into solution. Birches do it by generating root pressure. Conifers restrict emboli formation by having small trachieds (instead of vessel elements) and other structures to limit emboli spread beyond individual cells or small groups of cells. Oaks and other "ring porous" species grow new vascular tissue very quickly in the spring. So in general...just a variety of ways to skin the "vascular system repair/replacement problem" cat.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

In my opinion, they have higher sugar because they were created that way.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by sapman View Post
    In my opinion, they have higher sugar because they were created that way.
    Yeah, that’s the shortened version of what I said.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread