Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple-pocalypse? Syrup looks like the latest victim of climate change

Default Maple-pocalypse? Syrup looks like the latest victim of climate change

There was an article in the Financial Times yesterday about the Maple-pocalypse and the impact of climate change on the industry and hobby. I would post the link, but I think you have a better chance of reading the article, finding it on Google than from my link, as they will want you to subscribe to read the the link.

They talk about an earlier start to seasons, eventually less sugars in the sap and less yields per tap.

When you look at one year, you are looking at weather, when you look at many years of change, you are talking about climate change.

This year, as I imagine almost every year, there will be areas with low yields and areas with high yields.

I am a believer in climate change and its impacts will be real. I likely will not see too many profound changes in my sugaring time, but I think the difference 25 years from now will be profound.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

The world economic forum, leader of the fight for climate change says that in order to save the planet, the Future of food, is NOTHING from nature. I would post a link but you need to sign up to see it.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

As much as we try to dispel these notions when reporters call us, they frequently already know what they want to write (not all of them...some are happy to be educated on the subject). When we won't give them a gloom and doom story, they move on to someone else who will. It's difficult, because the story really is quite complex and has a lot of uncertainties.

That said, in the LONG run, climate change will not be kind to our friends in the far southern ranges of the maple production areas.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Default Gimme a break

They were saying 20 years ago the maple business would be dried up by now and we are having our best year ever in the Finger Lakes region of NY. Doom and gloom sells in media. They can't even get tomorrows weather right and we are supposed to believe the 20 year forecast?
    4000 taps on vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    As much as we try to dispel these notions when reporters call us, they frequently already know what they want to write (not all of them...some are happy to be educated on the subject). When we won't give them a gloom and doom story, they move on to someone else who will. It's difficult, because the story really is quite complex and has a lot of uncertainties.

That said, in the LONG run, climate change will not be kind to our friends in the far southern ranges of the maple production areas.
    So true! Unfortunately boring news that doesn't excite people don't make good articles! It's all about the narrative -sad.

But yes in 500 years I'm sure the weather will be significantly different (not just a warm week here or there) but who knows things can change now they are employing devices to capture the pollution out of the air- thank bill gates
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Quote Originally Posted by Tigermaple View Post
    They were saying 20 years ago the maple business would be dried up by now and we are having our best year ever in the Finger Lakes region of NY. Doom and gloom sells in media. They can't even get tomorrows weather right and we are supposed to believe the 20 year forecast?
    💯 Uts all speculation. Ever go to a mechanic and have him fix the wrong thing or do a bad job? Every person is different some know their stuff while others think they do- big difference
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Well, I am not all doom and gloom...but it's pretty hard to refute the science and the evidence that supports a warming planet. Won't affect me in my lifetime. And if it does, I'll just plant olive trees and make olive oil instead.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    Well, I am not all doom and gloom...but it's pretty hard to refute the science and the evidence that supports a warming planet. Won't affect me in my lifetime. And if it does, I'll just plant olive trees and make olive oil instead.
    Are you going to use sap as your defoamer, then?

I know it wouldn't happen at all, but couldn't resist the joke.
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

Smoky Lake 2x4 raised flue on Corsair arch
    The RO Bucket 80gph Single Post
    100 taps on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    ...but it's pretty hard to refute the science and the evidence that supports a warming planet.

This. And it's affecting people's lives now.

A worst threat from "climate change" are the proposed solutions.

FWIW, It's SDG 2 where they want to INCREASE Food production while REDUCING the land used. No new sugarbushes someday?
    And SDG 15 is where they want to take the people OFF the land altogether.

Their agenda is no secret, Its all here: https://sdgs.un.org/goals
    Last edited by Scm; 03-18-2023 at 04:33 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast