+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Creek Cooling bulk sap storage

Default Creek Cooling bulk sap storage

This years weather proved to be tough on my operation and I lost a lot of my sap to spoilage from warm weather. I'm only able to boil on the weekends. In the past I've stored my 5 gallon buckets of sap in a snow bank but this year we had no snow and I was using a sureflo pump with an IBC tote for storage for the first time.

This is leading me to try to figure out some way of cooling my storage tank. I have a creek on my property and my idea is to run a recirculating line through a coil in the creek. I figure on most days I can just run the recirculation line of the sureflo pump through the coil but on warmer days I may want a dedicated pump so I can keep up with the warmer weather and prevent the sap from heating up.

Has anyone done anything like this with any success?

Quote Originally Posted by rmcguirect View Post
    This years weather proved to be tough on my operation and I lost a lot of my sap to spoilage from warm weather. I'm only able to boil on the weekends. In the past I've stored my 5 gallon buckets of sap in a snow bank but this year we had no snow and I was using a sureflo pump with an IBC tote for storage for the first time.

This is leading me to try to figure out some way of cooling my storage tank. I have a creek on my property and my idea is to run a recirculating line through a coil in the creek. I figure on most days I can just run the recirculation line of the sureflo pump through the coil but on warmer days I may want a dedicated pump so I can keep up with the warmer weather and prevent the sap from heating up.

Has anyone done anything like this with any success?
    That's thinking outside of the box!
    I don't have any experience but my thought would be to put the coil inside the tote and pump the creek water.
    I'd be concerned that the line friction pumping the sap (basically a closed loop) may elevated the sap temp on it's own. Or maybe just put the tote in the creek.
    Just a slow day and my minds wandering.

Good luck
    Black Walnut tapping
    2021 - 3 trees 5 taps enough to boil a sample.
    ~ 2 acres, 35+ mature Black Walnut
    2022 - 30 Southern Ontario Walnuts tapped, 69 spouts.
    650 litres (143 Imp gals) on sap bags, 14 litres (3 Imp gals) walnut syrup on turkey fryer.
    2023 - 35 trees tapped, 28 mech vacuum & 7 on gravity. Propane fired custom evaporator, 2'x2' divided pan, 2'x1' preheat pan.
    882 litres (194 Imp gals) mechanical & gravity vac turned into 18.25 litres (4.8 Imp gals) syrup off my DIY evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by Trends View Post
    That's thinking outside of the box!
    I don't have any experience but my thought would be to put the coil inside the tote and pump the creek water.
    I'd be concerned that the line friction pumping the sap (basically a closed loop) may elevated the sap temp on it's own. Or maybe just put the tote in the creek.
    Just a slow day and my minds wandering.

Good luck
    Pumping creek water into a coil in the tank was my first thought as well. I'm leaning towards running the sap through a coil in the creek mainly because it's a much simpler solution.
    I may try to do some feasibility testing in the coming weeks before the creek temp starts to rise. If I can measure and log the inlet and outlet temperature of the sap going through the coil as well as the creek and air temperature I should be able to see if there is any merit to this.

your could buy(make) a beer wort cooler to put in the tote, to cool down the sap.

i'm sure many of you don't remember the ''old days'' i mean the real old days, but before we had electricity we kept our milk cans set right in the brook to keep the milk cold until it was picked up. just food for thought

+ Reply to Thread