+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soap, Acid washes

Default Soap, Acid washes

What flow rate or pressure settings is everyone using for their washes? The manual says to have the valve completely open for the rinses (high flow/ low pressure) but does not say what to set it at for the washes. If I leave it open the temp will not get to the recommended 118 degrees. It will only heat up if I set it close to my normal operating flow rates.
    Thanks,
    Dave C.
    2011 - 130 Taps
    2017 - 300 Taps (all gravity)
    2x8 Leader Revolution Evaporator
    12x18 Sugarhouse
    2021 - 350 taps
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Leader Clear Filter press
    2023 - 390 Taps

Be sure your not closing it. The whole system should heat up. You won't no flow and low pressure, absolutely 0 pressure in the membrane and 50-75 on pumps. Atleast for my d and g
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Rinse and wash are same valve configuration, no pressure or flow changes between Washing and rinsing
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Leave the valve open it will heat up to 118 it's takes 30-45 minutes, how much water do you have in the wash tank?
    Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

I always set the pressure so that the 2 flows were roughly equal. To get that, the valve will not be full open.
    On my 250 I had maybe 150psi or so initially but within several seconds the concentrate would gain faster than the permeate, open the pressure control valve to maintain equal flows.
    If you open the valve fully you are pushing almost all of the flow along the outside of the membrane and almost nothing thru it, that does nothing to clean the membrane except flush the surface.
    Do each, the rinses and the washes (soap wash and acid wash) by keeping the flows as equal as you can.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I use 5 gals of hot condensate to do the washes. I also have been equalizing the flows. I guess I'm doing it correctly. Just wanted to make sure since they don't mention it in the manual.
    Thanks
    Dave C.
    2011 - 130 Taps
    2017 - 300 Taps (all gravity)
    2x8 Leader Revolution Evaporator
    12x18 Sugarhouse
    2021 - 350 taps
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Leader Clear Filter press
    2023 - 390 Taps

Valves should be fully open for washes and rinses. You should not be producing much permeate at all.

Refer to any cleaning instructions for reference. eg RO bucket.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

RO valves are typically left open during wash and rinse. Continued and prolonged passage through the pump will heat the solution, but it can take a while depending upon the configuration, the pump, and the volume of the wash solution.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

That may well be how a big RO is designed, but my experience using a Ray Gingerich 250RO was that the flow meters had to be about equal, concentrate vs. permeate or the membrane didn't get enough flow to get clean.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Yes...to clarify...valves should be left open...but perhaps not WIDE open. Depends on your machine -- look at the instructions if provided. There needs to be flow on both sides of the membrane to achieve good results.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast