+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Difference in DE

Quote Originally Posted by eustis22 View Post
    Except for the name-calling, I found this an interesting thread. I did not realize that there were differences between one Food Grade DE and another and, as I have been having issues with my vacuum filtering (filters clog right off the bat), the idea there are different sizes of diatoms is revelatory.

I am not a rep and I do use a pseudonym here.
    I agree completely. Interesting topic and could have stayed that way.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Just to add to some of the confusion... some people actually eat this stuff. Not sure why, but whatever.

So I think (maybe) the food grade stuff might not be what you want to filter maple syrup, as long as it does not contain other harmful chemicals (such as lead).
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

Been following this thread. All good information. Of course, DE is a sourced product for the maple industry. That means dealers need to recoup cost for the time involved sourcing it/shipping it/ect/ect, but of course you could source it yourself (probably cheaper because DE companies are more a CPG company for the manufacturing industry). Depending on mark-up in our area you may or may not pay through the nose to get it from a dealer but thats the individual persons choice. I will say there is nothing wrong with people being comfortable with their dealer and buying it from them (I am guilty of this).

You want another one to follow up on that is a sourced product. Look up pan acid. You can buy the same thing as sani-clean from the dairy industry at about 1/2 the price. I still choose to buy from my maple dealer for a couple reasons, but I do it knowing I am overpaying. Call it stupidity or whatever you would like.

wouldnt the "maple dealer" have already done the leg work to make sure the DE they sell is the proper stuff we need ?,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123