+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference in DE

Well you are so smart! Use what you want and when some one gets sick and sues you, you may listen to the ones that are tell you where to by it.
    Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

It just boggles my mind that people refuse to learn what they are using and just simple "take others word" as in "since the maple supplier sold it they must be right" like how does no one want to know why what they sell is the "RIGHT" stuff. Like what puts the maple suppliers word over exactly what the MSDS says that they provide?
    No one cares to know, just takes others word so they can, I guess, blame someone. But if it known facts that there is no maple supplier that also produces DE so they all source it from some other companies. But no one cares to want to know what it actually is just that "well it came from a maple guy so yeah that's how I know it's good" That just doesn't sit well, and is an example of how our society is just getting dumber if people refuse to look into things.

You will find if your syrup has a recall they will come and ask where you got the DE do what you want, this is my last word on this, people like you make it hard for the ones that are doing it right. This is coming from a person that does training go to the Maine maple producer web sight and go to the mentor program that's me!
    Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

Several people have tried "food grade" DE with not so good results. The particle size needs to be consistent and of the right size. If you have finer particles in it, that will bind your filter. An SDS sheet on food grade DE may be the same for all food grade DE no matter what the size or consistency of size. Maple dealers have the source for the DE that will work properly and is approved for use in food. Otherwise they would be liable for lawsuits. If you want to try on your own, go ahead. Don't belittle the people who have experience and are doing things the proper way. When you do let us know how much you saved so we can learn from you, or more likely how much extra it cost you to experiment.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Wow the attacking, its unreal that people refused to understand info and accuse me of informing people wrong.
    So I even took this a step further and contacted Dicalite customer service and they got me in touch with one of their reps and we had a good discussion about their products. He was very informative and stated yes DE is used in many industries and that there is many misunderstandings around DE products. To spare you guys with any details as it seems no cares about anyways but in the Dicalite line the have several products that is used for the maple industrial for syrup filtering. The recommendation were to use any of the Dicalite #4200; #5000; or #6000 as those are the right size for filtering.
    Again all called Flux -Calcined Diatomaceous Earth
    I don't expect many of you guys to care since this wasn't information coming from a "maple guy" as many have put. But the source is usually good information for me
    Last edited by pLr_EQ8tR; 03-01-2023 at 11:47 AM.

Maybe if you weren't hiding behind a bogus name and starting **** from your first post people might take you seriously, but here you are! OH
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Maybe if you weren't hiding behind a bogus name and starting **** from your first post people might take you seriously, but here you are! OH
    "Bogus name" 90% of the screen names used on here are not people's real names but ok not sure what you're trying to prove with that point.
    And then you're saying by simply asking questions to why a certain type of DE is being used and reasoning, is "starting **** from your first post people might take you seriously" please explain that one

Ah it makes sense why you're attacking me, you're a rep that never asked the why and what he sells just resells it. Sorry for trying to be an informed customer.
    Last edited by pLr_EQ8tR; 03-01-2023 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pLr_EQ8tR View Post
    "Bogus name" 90% of the screen names used on here are not people's real names but ok not sure what you're trying to prove with that point.
    And then you're saying by simply asking questions to why a certain type of DE is being used and reasoning, is "starting **** from your first post people might take you seriously" please explain that one

Ah it makes sense why you're attacking me, you're a rep that never asked the why and what he sells just resells it. Sorry for trying to be an informed customer.
    I don’t see anyone attacking you, I do see a new member who’s having a difficult time with answers to his/her questions.
    No need to get on the defensive.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    I don’t see anyone attacking you, I do see a new member who’s having a difficult time with answers to his/her questions.
    No need to get on the defensive.
    See my main problem to begin was, yes I wasn't comfortable with the answers originally given because they were very vague. Like just get it from here and then that's it. I came to the forum to see if people actually had answers to why. I get it a majority of the people that post here are rep/dealers but I like to know the why I guess call it a pet pieve. So I guess it was a slight blessing in disguise because I called the manufacturer and got actual answers. It's not just the "food grade" that makes it what you need like what everyone says you need. I found out that mostly it's the manufacturing equipment that makes it food grade along with other things but some companies only use the food grade equipment for all their products, so that's when it comes down to the course size of it
    I now realize i should not have posted and just continue to read around here.
    Last edited by pLr_EQ8tR; 03-01-2023 at 05:24 PM.

Except for the name-calling, I found this an interesting thread. I did not realize that there were differences between one Food Grade DE and another and, as I have been having issues with my vacuum filtering (filters clog right off the bat), the idea there are different sizes of diatoms is revelatory.

I am not a rep and I do use a pseudonym here.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast