+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Un-Tapping for 2023

Unhappy Un-Tapping for 2023

This has to be the shortest season on record ! Started on Jan 21 4 1/2 weeks !! Made 40 gallon on 340 taps but i did better than last year by 3g. Just started pulling yesterday ...2-26-23
    How did YOU do ? please chime in !!!

I've heard some southern states are getting done because of a warm snap. If this is just for WV sorry for chiming in. Norther Vermont we are in a cold snap and haven't even hit 1/10th of a crop in some spots. The lower elevations are doing a bit better than that.

Rockport
    Most are too depressed to talk about the miserable season they just experienced! My sources tell there is no more than 10 producers still making good syrup, all high elevation locations except maybe one? The last good sap I got was 2/21/23! Trees not buddy just way too much bacteria! Syrup ropey. Better luck next year.
    Mark220maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

My area is no better, poor flow all season- 30 to 40 gallons of sap on 150 taps is depressing. Today is the fifth or sixth day with no night freeze and yesterday was
    68 degrees. Tonight is forecast to be 25 and perfect weather for the next 10 days, but I think the extended warm killed the season for us.

David
    Leader half pint Supreme
    RO Bucket-RB15

I’m helping a new producer in my county, 100 taps and should be around 30 gallons of syrup! Why? Elevation he is at 3300 feet and the one hundred taps are above him, I have not checked with him today, I’m at 26 degrees at 5 am he will be at 14 degrees or colder! I had six or more 70 degree days in February, he had none! He might have had some low 60s, it’s not killing his taps or creating mass amounts of bacteria
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

+ Reply to Thread