+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wet/dry and sap ladder

Default Wet/dry and sap ladder

Has anyone had any luck bypassing a star sap ladder with say a 1 inch jumper from wet line to wet line? Seems you could leapfrog the existing ladder with a dry line connector but would that then become your new ladder if it is further ‘upstream’ than your star ladder? Tired of waiting for frozen ladders to thaw before vacuum gets to all taps

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by Maplewalnut; 02-23-2023 at 11:40 AM.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I'm not really following your question. But I will say that your 5/16 lines on the sap ladder should thaw out quickly. Whereas mainline that has trapped sap at the bottom of the ladder will take longer, perhaps a lot longer.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    I'm not really following your question. But I will say that your 5/16 lines on the sap ladder should thaw out quickly. Whereas mainline that has trapped sap at the bottom of the ladder will take longer, perhaps a lot longer.

Ken
    Yea hard to describe. Ladder is star design with 5/16 tune. Problem is it seems to take a lot longer than other to thaw. All taps that this ladder raises sap from doesnt get any vacuum for hours until it thaws. My thought is to jumper the top mainline to the bottom with 1 inch tube bypassing the ladder and get vacuum to the taps while the 5/16 ladder thaws. Similar to a whip on a wet/dry system. I just dont know if the 1 inch tube will fill full of sap instead of the star 5/16 fittings since it will be upstream of the existing ladder
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

There are a couple challenges. When you have a minor leak in 5/16" you can have the freeze start sooner and last longer as it would fill the pipe and freeze solid.

We also have a mainline running to a ladder using a down turned six port star and 5/16" tubing to lift the sap. I have no doubt the star area and 5/16" tubing freezes hard. I have thought about changing to a 3 port start and putting 2 into the lines. I would think I would put about 18-24" between them that way if the lower 3 port star cannot handle the taps the second one will assist if the sap backs up to it and the second one will take over if the lower one is frozen.

The mainline above the ladder has approximately 24 taps. Prior to this year we ran 3/4" black poly with saddles. We had multiple leaks on the saddles and the line is about 9 years old. We replaced he line with 1" CDL blue and will re-attach the saplines with spin seals to fix the leaks. To save time since we are running behind we kept about 12" of the 3/4" black with the star by using a reducing coupling.

I find when the vacuum hits 10" the sap ladder starts running except on cold mornings. If I were moving sap from more than 24 taps I would seriously consider adding the second star.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

When we got over 100 taps on the star ladder line it wasn't working good enough for me. Someone on here was talking about vertical pipes. We switched to that one year, worked better, then "Tim" came out in me & wanted "more power" so added the dry line loop which does seem to help. Not sure if its when froze. but certainly when the sap gets running good. Vacuum does get stopped at bottom "waiting" for sap to come up tubes.
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

Quote Originally Posted by murferd View Post
    When we got over 100 taps on the star ladder line it wasn't working good enough for me. Someone on here was talking about vertical pipes. We switched to that one year, worked better, then "Tim" came out in me & wanted "more power" so added the dry line loop which does seem to help. Not sure if its when froze. but certainly when the sap gets running good. Vacuum does get stopped at bottom "waiting" for sap to come up tubes.
    Thanks Murray
    How far upstream did you connect your dry line to bottom mainline? Was it a couple feet or more from your ladder?
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

I have two spider lifts. One with about 40 taps and the other about 70.

I agree that the spider type ladder should thaw earlier in the morning because the lines will thaw out sooner. My thought is about the same time as the laterals lines thaw out, and before the mainlines...just a thought. I find that I have lifts in colder parts of my woods...they're at the low point, and it's noticeably colder in these locations.

I'm not sure how you quantify how well one style is working over the other...maybe if using maple mainline and you can see the sap flowing through it?? My mainline is all black. Is there a vacuum difference at the end of the mainline? It'd be cool to have a lift set up with both styles and be able to turn each of them off and see if there's a difference.

Maybe add the mainline lift as well and run them both?? Is it bad to have too much lift capacity?
    Last edited by Amber Gold; 02-24-2023 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maplewalnut View Post
    Thanks Murray
    How far upstream did you connect your dry line to bottom mainline? Was it a couple feet or more from your ladder?
    I think it's roughly 3 to 4 feet
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

+ Reply to Thread