+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running RO overnight

Default Running RO overnight

We are constantly trying to streamline our operation. We have a Next Gen 2.5" RO and wondered if we could run it overnight. Has anyone here done that?
    Willington CT
    2020 - 220 taps bags and lines in newly thinned Bush
    2019 - 80 taps bags. 11 gallons syrup
    RO - NGMP
    CDL 9” vacuum filter
    Lapierre mini pro

Not familiar with your RO and I am just a small hobby producer. But I have a RO bucket that runs 18-20 gallons an hour and I run it overnight feeding the concentrate
    back into the raw sap, if I have enough to start with. 200 gallons 10 hrs. would remove 9 gal. of water/hr so 90 gal. while I sleep leaving me with 110 that I then run again into the evaporator. The actual numbers are a little less because as it gets more concentrated it slows down. But I would think the same would work for you with your own capacity numbers. Hope this helps.

David
    Leader half pint Supreme
    RO Bucket-RB15

Quote Originally Posted by David Wayne View Post
    I have a RO bucket that runs 18-20 gallons an hour and I run it overnight feeding the concentrate
    back into the raw sap, if I have enough to start with. 200 gallons 10 hrs. would remove 9 gal. of water/hr so 90 gal. while I sleep leaving me with 110 that I then run again into the evaporator. The actual numbers are a little less because as it gets more concentrated it slows down.
    Hey David,
    I also have an RO bucket that I upgraded to 3 membranes that I put on a board, so it's basically the RB15 as well.
    Could you tell me a little more about how you RO your sap right in the sap tank? I typically collect anywhere from 10-40 gallons per day and RO it down in batches taking it from 1% to 2% to 4% and sometimes run again to get it to 7%, but I'd prefer to just recirculate the concentrate like you described and let it run until reaching the sugar % you want. Does this recirculation damage the membranes at all, or do they just automatically slow the concentrate and permeate flow automatically as the tank gets higher sugar %? I've been thinking about trying to do this, but was nervous about fouling my membranes (not cheap) or something worse like burning out the pump.
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

I put mine on a board this year, much better than in a bucket. This is my second year doing this and I am running the same membranes as last year, they are doing fine.
    I have only done it 3 times this year though due to not enough sap, maybe 600 gal. total this year. With 40 gallons you would need to keep an eye on it, in 2 hrs. you will have removed +- 18 gal. if each line is running 9gph. And as it concentrates it slows on its own, it may drop to 12-14 gph. total sap run. In my figures above I will be at about 3 1/2 percent the next morning, then 7 into the evaporator. My tank is a 265 gal. IBC tote and permete water goes in another tote to use for cleanup. I also bought the flow meters this year so I can accuratly know how much I am running per hour.
    Leader half pint Supreme
    RO Bucket-RB15

I'm never really sure how fast/slow my flow is. I just measure the sugar % of the sap and adjust needle valve until concentrate is double the original sap sugar %; then I just assume the concentrate/permeate lines are running 50/50. What brand/model are your flow meters? Do you just have them installed on the concentrate and permeate lines? Or somewhere else on the set-up?
    Thanks for the help
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

Ordered them through the ro bucket ZYIA, the concentrate one has a flow valve so you don't use the current needle valve.
    You should at least use two pint jars and fill them at the same time with permete and concetrate. The manual warns not to let
    the permete outrun the concetrate.

David
    Leader half pint Supreme
    RO Bucket-RB15

Ordered them through the ro bucket ZYIA, the concentrate one has a flow valve so you don't use the current needle valve.
    You should at least use two pint jars and fill them at the same time with permete and concetrate. The manual warns not to let
    the permete outrun the concetrate.

David
    I hold the 2 outputs together, and I fiddle with it until the needle valvs until the stream changed from a stream to drops the same distance away from the end of the tube.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

I run my RB20 kit overnight all the time. Pressure switch kills it if it's done pulling sap or something else causes a pressure drop. This is the fourth year running it and I have always done a 70:30 permeate/concentrate ratio.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

little tapper, is this 4 years on the same membranes and how much sap have you processed with them and how much can you run before you have to flush them? On a good day (not this year) I might get 200 gallons a day so processing may be 14-16 hours, could they handle that? The manual says they will deteriorate much quicker
    running that way.
    Leader half pint Supreme
    RO Bucket-RB15

little tapper, is this 4 years on the same membranes and how much sap have you processed with them and how much can you run before you have to flush them? On a good day (not this year) I might get 200 gallons a day so processing may be 14-16 hours, could they handle that? The manual says they will deteriorate much quicker
    running that way.
    Yup, 4th year on the original membranes. Monitoring them closely this year but no signs of issues yet. I don't get crazy yields but 1200 gallons/year is about normal. I run a lot of 200+ gallon batches through mine and they do slow down a bit toward the end of the job, but not bad. After the processing I give it a good long agitation cycle then a long flush with permeate.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast