+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pdiamond's request

Default Pdiamond's request

Pdiamond was interested in seeing a few pictures of my sugarshack. I thought to post them here so he, and others, can see. The shack is a lean-to addition to a pole barn. We converted the addition into a sugar shack a few years ago. The floor was raised to be (almost) level with the main part of the barn. It's 16 foot wide by 30-something foot long. Nowhere near the beauty of other sugar shacks like Wood Butcher's (although his is definitely a house, not a shack). The south side of the shack is mainly occupied by an 8 foot by 8 foot kid play pen.

We are running a slightly different setup this year in that the sap is hauled via trailer and we can't bring it directly into the shack but we are making it work.

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#028N8...MXgjAzFLuwz5ig
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

Smoky Lake 2x4 raised flue on Corsair arch
    The RO Bucket 80gph Single Post
    100 taps on buckets

Nice set-up. You have lots of room to work around you evaporator, which makes it really easy. I noticed you don't have the blower option on your arch. I have the blower on mine and man does it kick some tail. Also uses lots of wood, but that's okay I have a whole woods full. I have the raised flue 2 x 4 evaporator, but I don't have one of the newer arches with the sight glass. Thanks for sharing the photos they were awesome!
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Thanks! It's nice to get someone else's opinion and see I'm doing something right. Especially with our setbacks this season.

How do you like your raised flue pan set from Smoky Lake? I don't know if a pan upgrade is in our future, but if it was, that would be the way to go. Either that or the drop flue set.
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

100 taps on buckets

I love the raised flue pan. I can get 50gph or better if I really fire it hard. It just amazes me what that little evaporator will do. I personally don't care for the drop flue pans it's just me. If you have watched the Smoky Lake video, I have the exact set-up in that video. I ended up buying the 50-gallon raised feed tank to go with the evaporator. I think my next big purchase will be the stack probe - a little pricey, but it may help me regulate the wood loading better than I do. Since I am retired, I don't worry about how fast I get it done since I have all day. The nice thing about buying from them is they work with a good leasing company, and you can get the equipment you want and make a monthly payment if you don't have the full amount to buy the equipment.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Nice setup and plenty of room to work or....expand.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

Thanks Mike! Don't mention expanding, though. There is the possibility....
    Daniel & Eleanor Bliese
    Heritage Woods, LLC
    SW Michigan

100 taps on buckets

+ Reply to Thread