+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Think we're done

Default Think we're done

CRAZY weather. We tapped on Jan 15th, and it has been a struggle ever since due to warm temps. We finally had a 12 hour spell on Thursday/Friday where temps dropped into the mid twenties, and we were hoping for another run. Alas, after telling ourselves yesterday that the trees hadn't thawed yet, it's time to face the facts.... our tapholes are already drying up. 60 degrees now and I drilled a few fresh holes in some trees we didn't tap, and the sap IS running hard.... but not so much in our existing tapholes. We run tubing on shurflo vacuum, and used new check valve spouts, but I believe these crazy warm temps have dried up our trees after five weeks. Worst year we've had in a long time.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Temps above 50 deg F are BAD. All sanitation practices fail with temps warmer than that.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thank you for replying Dr Perkins, you've confirmed my fears. Better to know for sure, than wonder if there's anything different we should've done. Over the last month, we've seen temps above 50 degrees on multiple, probably the majority, of days. Time to rethink for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Over the last month, we've seen temps above 50 degrees on multiple, probably the majority, of days. Time to rethink for next year!
    Not sure about Indiana, but there's a pattern change in the weather this week in New England. It looks to be cooler and more seasonable for the next couple of weeks. It's been warm here too. Warmest January I've recorded since the 80s (I keep a daily weather record) and so far this February. The change is just in time. I was noticing some red maples in the valley starting to bud. I'm hoping things hold for a while.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Tony L
    I’m not making fun of your season, but if I could have had five days in the 60s verses the five or more days that I’ve had in the 70s I would have survived slightly longer, tonight I’ve been sent info to join a voom meeting chat with Les Ober, and Dr. Mike Rechlin, topic how to survive warm spells during maple season, Dr. Tim should be happy, I didn’t bump taps, drilled deeper on start up, this was probably the perfect season to bump taps, because next week winter returns if you believe the weather man! I’ve got another crazy idea floating on how to survive if I make syrup next year? As Dr Rechlin refers too me, Hillbilly Maple Research Center, what ever I try my main goal is getting Proctor funding to prove it’s a bad practice! Got to keep Dr. Tim and Dr. Abby on there toes!
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Hey mark
    What's the trick! Don't forget to share with all your hillbilly buddies. Not sure I can get through the week. boil last nite still makin good syrup. No boil today high wind don't want to catch the county on fire!

Be safe
    Wvsugarshak

+ Reply to Thread