+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: N.w. Wisconsin 2023

We had a decent run over Easter weekend, but no freezing after that. I finished off the season and bottled today. 38 pints. If a quart of syrup per tap is a good standard, I was far short of that this year, 38 pints for 50 taps. I left the taps in, expect freezing weather later this weekend, so we will see. Sure easier walking in the woods, almost all snow gone!

Here in Bayfield CO. I have had a test tap out and it's running well. I tapped one of my saplines yesterday. The weather for more than 10 days looks perfect for sap. So early, but after a bust last year, I'm willing to risk it.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

I put a test tap in on Sunday and have gotten a half gallon sap each of the last three days. I expect that to continue for a week or so, but since I'm on buckets I won't put in all my taps yet- holes would dry up or get bacteria. But I likely will tap earlier than usual- maybe last week of February? I assume the sap that is flowing now is lost and gone, so worry about what will be left. We'see>

I tapped today SE Sawyer Co. The way the soft maples look, I'm figuring its not going to last long. Next 10 days look pretty decent. Trees by the garage had inch in the bags in couple hours. Couple inches of snow and not much frost.

We tapped 100 trees yesterday - just north of Tony in Rusk County.
    About 2/3 of them were wet when I pulled the bit out.
    Didn't tap any soft maples this year, looks like they could bud at any time.
    If the forecast is correct, looks to be good for the most part in the coming weeks.
    Scott Bingham
    Smoky Lake 2x5 Corsair Arch and Hybrid Pro Pan
    Smoky Lake 3 Bank Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Steam Bottler
    100+ Taps
    Pug 4x4 Sap & Wood Hauler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12