+ Reply to Thread

Thread: trail camera batteries

Default trail camera batteries

Just wondering if anyone knows the best kind of double AA batteries to put in my trail camera. My trail camera doesn't do well in the cold, but when the temperatures get milder, like the last week I start to get pictures sent to my phone app again. Is there a battery that does better in the cold. I do have some rechargeable batteries I could use, not sure what they are made of. Currently Im using some alkaline energizer batteries. I thought I could point this camera to one of my barrels to see how quickly its filling.

Lithium seems to do the best, IMHO
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'll order some lithiums ones. I think I might need a new charger as well. I better double check.

I'll second Maple Flats. We have had a couple trail cameras up and the lithiums last longer.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

I have been using the same energizer all winter and last winter as well. They worked when the temperatures dropped to -39C a few weeks back.
    My cameras don't have cell capability, that may have an impact on the durability I have been seeing.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

thats a good point. Maybe its taking the picture, but is not sending it because of the cold. I'll have to check my app out again and see whats happening.

I'm all about the solar charged cellular system now. It's like power windows on a car - I'll never go back to hand crank.

One advantage is that I'll leave the solar camera active throughout the year. On batteries, I usually set out the cameras before deer hunting season and still need to change out the batteries before the end. Post season I'd let the batteries run out and then I collect the devices for the year. It's not worth it to me to feed batteries to multiple devices throughout the entire year.

I'm using one now for a security camera on my driveway. It's cellular so I get notified by my phone app that someone has entered my property - with a couple of photos.

Of course, it matters if the camera isn't positioned to get the necessary solar to keep it charged. I try to select locations and face the device south to optimize the charge. In the worst case, the battery dissipates, and you bring it in for an occasional recharge (still less frequent than straight batteries).

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread