+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RO output lacking

Are you following manufacturer's cleaning instructions often enough?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Maple View Post
    The flow coming out of the concentrate is anemic compared to past performance.
    Personally, I like anemic concentrate flow. That means there is more permeate flow. lol
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Are you following manufacturer's cleaning instructions often enough?
    Yes. I have flushed the unit as recommended after every use and at the end of the season. It has always been a wonderful time saver and made syrup season better. It has just seemed to have a bug in the system this year, maybe something I have done wrong without knowing it. I did have to undo some connections two times when swapping out parts which introduced the possibility of error. I have checked and rechecked the connections. I am encouraged by yesterday's test and want to see what it does with the next round of sap.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

Quote Originally Posted by RC Maple View Post
    Yes. I have flushed the unit as recommended after every use and at the end of the season. It has always been a wonderful time saver and made syrup season better. It has just seemed to have a bug in the system this year, maybe something I have done wrong without knowing it. I did have to undo some connections two times when swapping out parts which introduced the possibility of error. I have checked and rechecked the connections. I am encouraged by yesterday's test and want to see what it does with the next round of sap.
    You haven’t answered the questions asked by a couple of people as to whether you are doing soap and or acid washes. Rinsing alone will not keep the RO clean and flows up.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    You haven’t answered the questions asked by a couple of people as to whether you are doing soap and or acid washes. Rinsing alone will not keep the RO clean and flows up.
    Sorry, I didn't read the soap and acid washes as a question but a recommendation. I do a soap wash with the recommended preservative at the end of the season. I have never seen a recommended acid wash. My original membranes lasted over 3 seasons and were still performing at concentrating sap, they were just slowing down. I had new ones on hand so I changed them 4 weeks ago.
    RC Maple

This is next year!

I recommend doing a soap wash after every use. That way they're always fresh. Unless it's a small run (relative to the size of your system), I don't think just a perm. rinse does a good job getting all the boifilm off the membranes. IMO.

Do you have hard water and do you rinse with well water often? If not, an acid wash may not do much.

I recommend doing a soap wash after every use. That way they're always fresh. Unless it's a small run (relative to the size of your system), I don't think just a perm. rinse does a good job getting all the boifilm off the membranes. IMO.

Do you have hard water and do you rinse with well water often? If not, an acid wash may not do much.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post

yes, warm soap wash often is important. Especially mid-late season. I can see the wash kettle water turn amber sometimes! Just have to have enough permeate to flush. I know for my 4x40 membranes its at least 200 gallons to flush after the soap wash.

On a side note, it was balmy mid-season day yesterday in the 50s and my 200gph unit was getting about 222 to start so I got through concentrating in record time

I agree with the more frequent soap washes. You get a lot of bang for your buck with washes. It takes no more extra time at the end of your boil than the hot water rinse and backwash. I've only got 200 gal to process today, but I'm going to do a wash bc even though the sap lines will be shut down for the cold over the next few days, any critters on the membrane will have a party.

All that said, you may have a few issues going on and need multiple approaches. Maybe you already took care of it on your last test. You can get a jump on your live test in the next flow by making your own sweet to run through. The warm plain water went through well, but try mixing some sugar in a 5 gal bucket of colder water. Mix it warm then let it sit outside for a couple hours. Shouldn't take long to get it down to 34 deg or whatever your original conditions were. It shouldn't take much sugar to get the water to 2%.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Thanks to all for the good info on maintaining my RO. With more frequent soap washes I may be able to go even longer before new membranes next time and better performance in the meantime.
    RC Maple

This is next year!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast