+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2023, tapped yet?

Default 2023, tapped yet?

Anyone tapping yet? I'm feeling left out, we've had a few days up in the 40s, plus rain coming which I think will thaw things out. But I'm stuck at work out of town for another month.

I'm planning on tapping in tomorrow February 11th. Earliest I've tapped so far. Good luck everyone,have fun! Ted

Put 75ish taps today, sap is running. I'll finish getting them in tomorrow, maybe even collect some sap! Good luck all! And have fun! Ted

I'm all tapped (100 taps in all) and collected 80 gal. today. Have fun! Ted

I put out 60 taps today all running good.

Exactly what I thought, but didn't want to hear. Good luck guys! Still 3 weeks before I will be home. This is about a month earlier than I have been tapping in the past couple of years.

I bottled up 8.5 gal of amber this past couple days. I'll hose out the tanks, clean the pan and evaporator then take the rest of today off as I really need a break. Tomorrow I'll make a desision on the sap in buckets, probably dump them and start fresh on Tuesday. Its been one heck of a season so far! Im missing my grandson's help. Have fun! Ted

Put out about 200 taps on Tuesday (Feb 28th). It was running well so we gathered about 175 gallons of sap on Wednesday and boiled it down. Packaged it today (March 3rd). Only a little over 3 1/2 Gallons so we were a little disappointed. Gathered another 180 gallons or so today. Hope it runs a little better. There was some ice in it that we threw out so that may help the test a little.

Just got home yesterday and got my taps in. Hope I'm not too late. The weather is still looking good and most of the trees I tapped were running pretty good. All looked clear except 1 that was visibly brown/ yellow. The wood looked brownish vs white when I drilled that one, so I didn't put a tap in it. Guessing a damaged spot in the tree? Now the wait and see part.

+ Reply to Thread