+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for best place to buy 3-5 gallon buckets with lids

Default Looking for best place to buy 3-5 gallon buckets with lids

We are new to making maple syrup. Where is the best place to buy pails and lids. We are looking for 3-5 gallon

Check grocery stores that make cakes. They go through a lot of frosting buckets that are 4 and 6 gallons and are food grade and have nice lids. They clean out easily and don't affect the syrup flavor. My local grocery goes through about 5 per week. You can also get fry oil jugs from just about anywhere. Our local Chinese restaurant goes through 10 of those per week. Little harder to clean but you won't have to use defoamers the first year you use them.
    Dan of Jack & Daniel's syrup.
    2021 - First time tapper, 40 TAPS, 7 GAL syrup, 400gpd RO
    2022- 105 taps, 17 gal syrup, 2x 400 gpd RO
    2023- 143 taps, 27 gal syrup New 12x16 shack. Lost my father in law Jack who helped me build it. New Badgerland filter press.
    2024 - 210 taps, 37 gal syrup, 6x 400gpd RO Procon pump

Lowes (and probably Home Depot) sell food grade 5 gal buckets and lids.
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWoodchuck View Post
    Check grocery stores that make cakes. They go through a lot of frosting buckets that are 4 and 6 gallons and are food grade and have nice lids. They clean out easily and don't affect the syrup flavor. My local grocery goes through about 5 per week. You can also get fry oil jugs from just about anywhere. Our local Chinese restaurant goes through 10 of those per week. Little harder to clean but you won't have to use defoamers the first year you use them.
    Thank you for the info. I was worried that foods would effect the flavour.

Sorry about your father-in-law

Katherine

Quote Originally Posted by fisheatingbagel View Post
    Lowes (and probably Home Depot) sell food grade 5 gal buckets and lids.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWoodchuck View Post
    What do you clean the pails with?

Tractor Supply food grade - $5.69 for five gallon bucket + $2.39 for lid. I doubt you'll find a lower price anywhere else.

Wherever you buy, check to make sure they are food grade. The non-food grade buckets look just like the food grade buckets.
    2023 - 2' X 6' Smoky Lake Products "Silverplate" evaporator + Increase taps up to 500
    2022 - 295 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.
    2017-2021 - Didn't tap.
    2016 - 150 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.

https://www.larrybohenwebsolutions.com

Little late on this but Trader Toms west of Spencer has food grade buckets for $1. The ones I got had honey in them prior. They didn't have lids, but I picked some up from Menards for under $2. $3 a bucket is hard to beat being food grade.

Trader Toms has supplies all the time so hopefully this helps for next year for you!

There is a small business about 15 miles from me that cans fruit, berries, and makes jamms jelly and preserves. They buy all the fruit and berries and some of it comes in 4 gallon square buckets. I ask them about selling them and they said sure, 25 cents each with lids! And they are already clean, but they don't have handles. I got all they had at the time, 42 of them. If you have something like that around it is worth checking, I figure they just want to be rid of them without having to pay for a dumpster.

David
    Leader half pint Supreme
    RO Bucket-RB15

Default NSF Pails at the local dount shop

Over here a local family-run donut shop has 5 gal food grade pails with handles and lids.
    They normally ask a buck a piece.
    This time of year a lot of the maple people are grabbing them up, so you may have to wait a while.
    Take a bottle of syrup with you and you may not have to wait at all! Works for me.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast