+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2023 season

Quote Originally Posted by Keitha333 View Post
    This is very interesting to me...ChaskaSap. Do you know what your high/low temps were? Makes me think I should have tapped!
    Hi Keitha333
    It's been a strange year, they flow when I wouldn't expect it. I've had them flowing on Tuesday when the temp was only 33.

For the most part around 36ish is when I see them going. Yesterday and today has been the bumper crop with the high of 41 yesterday and low of 35. I just pulled my bags off this morning after collecting 35 gallons last night before dark and this morning another 55. I collected 300 gallons for the season and now calling it quits.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

Quote Originally Posted by ChaskaSap View Post
    Hi Keitha333
    It's been a strange year, they flow when I wouldn't expect it.
    This was true for me today, I wanted to make sure everything was ready for the wind and low and behold there was 10 gallons there....it's a start. Will be a few days until I get more I imagine but it's a start.

This weather pattern of cool temps just won't bust! I put in 15 more taps for a total of 65 just in case it is a quick season. My fear is when it the pattern turns it's going to turn quick. I could put in another 15 but I would have to carry pails a lot further. Hoping not to!

I put 50 taps in yesterday and a handful were wet. Seems to be just starting here. The snow depth was crazy though. I’m 5’8” and it was up to my pockets! I’m 25 miles SW of Duluth.

Put in 50 taps this weekend, all bags. Nothing was running. Most are younger trees and all are deep in the woods, so some good snowshoeing. Hoping that there's a little drip before the weekend.

I put in about 60 taps yesterday south of Hutchinson. A few were dripping slowly, but most were only wet. Trekking through the snow was quite the workout, with depths ranging from a few inches to 3.5 feet in some drifted areas. I'm hoping the trees let loose soon.

Its been slow, took nearly a week and 1/2 to get 40 gallons out of 40 trees. Hoping it starts to run better the rest of this week. The weather looks good for it.

I'm digging holes and putting my buckets out, but not planning to tap for another 5-6 days. I only tap 100, so I can wait. Based on what are in the bags that are out around here, I haven't missed anything.
    4 miles north of Garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPine View Post
    I'm digging holes and putting my buckets out, but not planning to tap for another 5-6 days. I only tap 100, so I can wait. Based on what are in the bags that are out around here, I haven't missed anything.
    4 miles north of Garrison.
    Pretty much what I found today south of Milaca. Via snowshoes and a sled, wet holes on black, silver and red maples, with slow flow. I tend to think its still early. 2-3ft snow-pack still and a another cold patch midweek, then its showtime.

Put out 60 of 100 taps. Only the ones in the yard are running.some in the woods are slowly starting. Waiting for warmer weather I did notice that there is no frost under all the snow.
    Family taped for many years
    started again 2009 after 25 year break with 40 taps
    2011 60 taps
    2016 90 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast