+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2023 season

Default 2023 season

We're getting close. I figured I'd start the thread! Who's excited for the 2023 season?!! I'm currently getting ready and finishing up my shack and checking lines... Squirrels...

200 taps half on sureflo vac
    2x6 smoky lake Corsair
    12x12 shack new for 2023
    Last edited by Lonepine; 02-06-2023 at 11:19 AM.

I will get the supplies out this weekend. I usually tape the last weekend in February or first weekend in March but looks like it might be sooner this year.
    Suburban Sugar bush.
    2019 2.25 Gallons of Syrup on 6 Taps
    2020 12.5 Gallons of Syrup on 37 trees and 54 Taps
    2021 25 Gallons on 70+ Trees and 100+ taps.
    2022 42 Gallons on 60 Select tress with 120+ taps
    2023 26ish gallons on 75.

2024 Bought property and have my own trees.
    Red, some Sugar
    Smoky Lake Dauntless with Blower and Divided Pan.
    I will be experimenting with cold shock gravity filtering.

Not entirely ready, next week looks promising up Mille Lacs way. Probably drop a few taps on Sunday on the river adjacent silver maples. Debuting a Smoky Lake StarCat this year. Still working on a wheel/leveling system yet this week.

Getting excited here as well! I've been rationing out my rapidly diminishing stock pile and have put the word out for those who want a bottle or two to help line up some trees. Lots of snow pack yet (about 2' ?) with a nice layer of ice mid way down. Under all that I can almost dig up the sod, so no to little frost. Will that mean a faster start and an early finish to the season? However, the local weather guy is predicting a longer cooler snowier March to end of April. Time will tell I suppose.

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

North of Marcell Even tho it's 40 today i think it will be the second week in March before I put the taps out. In previous years I would be chomping the bit to get things ready so that I could boil tommorrow. So now after kepping records for years I predict that it is just too early. Last fall we redid our 3/16 lines and drops so all we have to is drill and tap the trees. There still lots of snow in the woods. Last week i did manage to break a snowmobile trail to the ends of 4 of our 6 lines. After we get some cold weather I wil ldo it again. Then we will. put on the snowshoes and break a trail to each tree. THAT'S WHEN THE FUN BEGINS.

I'm located in Mora , mn. This warm spell has me itching to get out and drill a few trees. However I know it's to early from experience... We are bound to have another cool down and at least another decent snow event.

Default Holding your water

Well, judging by the 5 posts and 350 views many are coming to see if guys are tapping. It would seem most are not taking the early season bait. My rational for not taping is the extended cold that looks to settle back in next Wednesday and not wanting to leave my bags flapping in the wind for two weeks.

Also I remember reading somewhere about a guy who had a friend that said after six weeks a non-vacuumed tap hole will start to seal up regardless of the freeze thaw conditions. And late March, early April has been good the past few years around Rochester and I don't want to lose out on that.

All that said it still feels weird not taping right now.
    Suburban Sugar bush.

Red, some Sugar

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    Well, judging by the 5 posts and 350 views many are coming to see if guys are tapping. It would seem most are not taking the early season bait.
    Predictions just keep going up - five 35f+ degree days now forecast Saturday-Wednesday up by me. I find it hard to believe my silver maples on the river are not going to be awake, especially with a warmer than usual winter. Heck I had small portion of open water on the river all winter. I'm going to tap a handful.
    Last edited by dew042; 02-09-2023 at 09:20 AM.

Default OK

Quote Originally Posted by dew042 View Post
    Predictions just keep going up - five 35f+ degree days now forecast Saturday-Wednesday up by me. I find it hard to believe my silver maples on the river are not going to be awake, especially with a warmer than usual winter. Heck I had small portion of open water on the river all winter. I'm going to tap a handful.
    It will be interesting to hear what you get.
    Suburban Sugar bush.

Red, some Sugar

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    It will be interesting to hear what you get.
    Probably nothing, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast