+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2023 season

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfin View Post
    Well, judging by the 5 posts and 350 views many are coming to see if guys are tapping.
    I've been one of those 350 views. Been lurking and not posting. Guy I work with lives in Apple Valley, and this will be his first year, so I'm keeping an eye on this thread to help guide him as to when it's time to put drill to wood.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

The weather forecast here in Chaska looks promising for only 4 days, then the bottom drops out for a least 2 weeks. As much as I'm itching to get out there, I'm not going to take the bait be waiting for a more sustained period of warmth. Although interested to see if the trees start working their magic this week.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

Hello, I have one tree, in my backyard that is always the first to run... its dripping like crazy today. My other silvers are in the back 20 and they are always behind my early tree. Looking at the upcoming weather, it looks to be getting cold again. I not sure I will put taps in just yet.

Hey Guys! I have not tapped yet simply because I do not have the time currently. Reading these posts is about as close I will get for a couple more weeks then things open up for time. Best of luck to everyone and I hope those of you that have put some taps in get some full buckets. Thanks for posting everyone!

I put in 4 taps to test and all 4 are starting to drip. Slowly but they are dripping.
    Last edited by ChaskaSap; 02-13-2023 at 12:12 PM.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

Just started to see sap from a broken twig by Winsted. Feels a bit early in my opinion.

Default Ready, Set, let's go!

I'm located in southern MN. With the warm weather this past weekend I couldn't resist getting out and put in about 140 taps all on 3/16 tubing. A few trees were weeping on Saturday, more on Sunday. As I was setting my collection barrels a couple of my tubings were actually running slowly. I expect a little mini run today and tomorrow then we're back in the cold. I'll check things this weekend and maybe cook what I have, if I can get it out of the barrels. The extended forecast doesn't look good to maintain a flow so I'm planning on the normal March sap run.
    Fingers crossed for a good year

Located on the south side of Mille Lacs here; I ended up putting all my taps out last week. I know it's early but just in case its a super early or long season like last year i didn't want to miss out. All of my trees are awake save a few, but its definitely looking like it'll be a week or 2 before it really starts going. I had a really good year last year, and it started very similar to this year (early and lots of refreezes)

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Wanderer View Post
    All of my trees are awake save a few
    Sugar maples? Silvers?

Still too much snow last weekend for me, I was gung-ho, but reality set in. That, and my UTV got stuck instantly. The snow really sticks around in the denser woods along the Rum River. Right now I'm planning to tap the first week of March.

I just tap the sugars; I have a buddy near onamia closer to the river that taps silvers and he's in the same boat as me atm (they're dripping, but slowly). I tap on a big southeast facing slope in the woods where the trees get lots of sun, and it's not uncommon for them to start fairly early here every year. The snow is really deep here too, I just snowshoe it until it's more manageable. Spring fever got the best of me otherwise I usually wait until march as well, I don't expect them to pick up and really start going for a couple weeks yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast