+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible tapping this weekend in Berkshires

Quote Originally Posted by groomer_guy View Post
    Tapped on Feb 18th this season which was really early. We will see how the season fairs. I am on the other end of town from bigschuss so it will be interesting to see the difference on sap flow.
    How has your season been so far? You're closing in on six weeks now, so I hope things have been productive. When do you usually pull your taps? Normally I would pull mine (I'm at around 800 feet in altitude) around the beginning of April, but even though trees we're still flowing pretty well I called it quits a bit early this year since I started really early and had a very productive season.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Groomer and BigSchuss, I was just looking at the weather - I would think this week would have been a great run for you guys?

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    Groomer and BigSchuss, I was just looking at the weather - I would think this week would have been a great run for you guys?

GO
    Terrible season for me. Although I needed the snow to access my sugarbush, that Nor-easter 2 weeks ago really hammered us and dumped TOO MUCH snow. Probably had about 38 to 41" or so. It was too deep for my snowmobile...couldn't pack my trails or access my trees. Tons of branches came down blocking my trails. Last week I tried to get my machine out to pack trails and salvage the season as best I could. Was hoping just to even boil for a few weeks. Got my snowmobile BURIED! out in the woods. I took my helmet off and left it with the sled...and walked home and waived the white flag. This is only the 2nd season in 22 years that I haven't tapped.

So, I got what I wished for...a good Nor-easter. But it ended up shutting me down.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    Terrible season for me. Although I needed the snow to access my sugarbush, that Nor-easter 2 weeks ago really hammered us and dumped TOO MUCH snow. Probably had about 38 to 41" or so. It was too deep for my snowmobile...couldn't pack my trails or access my trees. Tons of branches came down blocking my trails. Last week I tried to get my machine out to pack trails and salvage the season as best I could. Was hoping just to even boil for a few weeks. Got my snowmobile BURIED! out in the woods. I took my helmet off and left it with the sled...and walked home and waived the white flag. This is only the 2nd season in 22 years that I haven't tapped.

So, I got what I wished for...a good Nor-easter. But it ended up shutting me down.
    Sorry to hear that!
    ---------------------------
    5' x 9' sugaring room
    37 taps (cast iron spiles), 3 gallon metal buckets
    Boiling with a 21" x 24" divided pan, 3 troughs, w/warming tank on top
    250K BTU propane burner inside cement block arch, 4 x 100lb. propane tanks in parallel
    Sap storage in 44 gallon Brute barrels w/food-safe plastic bag barrel liners

2021: ~8 gallons of syrup
    2022: ~11 gallons of syrup (but I lost a 3 gallon batch because I fell asleep and burned it!!)
    2023: ~15 gallons of syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12