+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Southwest PA Tapping 2023

Hybrid View

Default Emptied my divided pan

Well I emptied my divided pan. No sense letting it sit there without sap to put in. With 115 gravity taps I only got 50 gallons of sap in two days. I am not pulling my taps yet, but I don't see any large runs happening soon. I think next year I'm going to tap twice as many trees,, boil like crazy until I get the gallons of syrup I want and then call it a season. I could possibly be done in 2 weeks. (I was getting 85 gallons/day in the first week this year). I'll use a solar vacuum and some long gravity runs down the hill. Less walking around and looking into empty buckets seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SRM View Post
    Well I emptied my divided pan. No sense letting it sit there without sap to put in. With 115 gravity taps I only got 50 gallons of sap in two days. I am not pulling my taps yet, but I don't see any large runs happening soon. I think next year I'm going to tap twice as many trees,, boil like crazy until I get the gallons of syrup I want and then call it a season. I could possibly be done in 2 weeks. (I was getting 85 gallons/day in the first week this year). I'll use a solar vacuum and some long gravity runs down the hill. Less walking around and looking into empty buckets seems like a good idea.
    Sorry to hear that you are done so early. I'm still in the game, but I am about the same distance North of Pittsburgh that you are South of Pittsburgh. I'm actually expecting a big run tomorrow because the low tonight is supposed to be about 29 and the high tomorrow is supposed to be about 65. But, even if tomorrow's run pans out, I'll probably finish this year with only a little more than half of my usual amount of syrup.
    Last edited by HowardR; 02-28-2023 at 12:08 PM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

Sap is flowing well today. It's not pouring out, but it's not trickling. I haven't seen it flow well for more than a week.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123