+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PO Pump Power Supply Electrical Hazard

Default PO Pump Power Supply Electrical Hazard

A DIY'er here. I've got my 2-400 GPD homemade RO system ready to plumb. I got a great deal of input from here and also from YouTube (from many MapleTraders as well as others). As I get ready to cut tubing and wrap NTP threads, a thought occurs to me. I've mounted a 110V device directly below a pressurized water system with about a dozen or more fittings that can potentially leak. I've not seen any mention anywhere about the electrical hazards in building and operating these homemade RO systems, but they certainly need to be considered. Because these RO systems are "systems of systems", I've designed mine as a modular system. Each major assembly is mounted to its own mounting plate that be repositioned on my "breadboard" if I decide to reconfigure it later or expand it. I could remount the power supply to a location more protected from any spray or drip from a leaking fitting but it will reduce the compactness and self-contained nature of my system. I've seen many systems where the power supply is mounted inches from pump with both directly below or in close proximity to plumbing and/or components that could wet these devices so maybe there's something I'm missing but I don't want to let this go unanswered. I guess it goes without saying that you only plug these devices into GFI outlets. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks,

Conococheague

I’m currently working on my second RO build. (The first one has been great for 8 years but I need a bigger one that will take out more water faster).

I’m trying to make sure any electrical components are above the ‘wet’ ones so gravity is my friend. And the power supply for this build is DEFINITELY not water friendly so it is going in its own electrical case inside the enclosure. It goes without saying that the whole thing plugs into a GFCI outlet.
    Sugaring since 2000.
    2022 - 113 taps on tubing and gravity. Homemade evaporator and RO.
    2023 - 120 taps on 5/16 and gravity added a float to the pan an built a new 5x400gpd RO

+ Reply to Thread