+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Secure Evaporator Smokestack

Default How to Secure Evaporator Smokestack

This season my evaporator will be mostly under a pipe-frame / tarp covered enclosure. The end with the stainless steel 10" stack pipe will be just outside the pipe-frame. The height of the stack pipe will be about 12' capped with a stack topper.

Is each section of the smokestack screwed to the connecting section?

What's the best way to secure the smokestack. Guide wires? Concentric Spacer Fins? ...?
    2023 - 2' X 6' Smoky Lake Products "Silverplate" evaporator + Increase taps up to 500
    2022 - 295 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.
    2017-2021 - Didn't tap.
    2016 - 150 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.

https://www.larrybohenwebsolutions.com

Yep - each section of smokestack gets screwed to the connecting section.

I have seen some folks use 2-3 guidewires anchored down to a hunk of concrete or other convenient immovable object(s). The stovepipe generally wants to stay put. You need to keep it from crashing down in a breeze, etc.

I'd like to hear what other clever ideas people have used to solve this.

My first year I had a vendor's type tent over my evaporator. I ran the stack at about a 20-25 degree slant so it was outside the tent area. I had each section of stack screwed to the next lower section and I then used 2 @1/2" emt tubes which were anchored to a deck railing and attached to the stack in an inverted V shape to support the stack. I only did that 1 season and I then built my sugarhouse before the next season.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I just found a Smoky Lake Maple video titled Backyard Evaporator Set Up - Stack Pipe and Guy Support. Very informative.
    2023 - 2' X 6' Smoky Lake Products "Silverplate" evaporator + Increase taps up to 500
    2022 - 295 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.
    2017-2021 - Didn't tap.
    2016 - 150 Sap Sak taps - Sold sap.

https://www.larrybohenwebsolutions.com

+ Reply to Thread