+ Reply to Thread

Thread: canning syrup

Default canning syrup

To start off, this is my 2nd year, made a little over 6 gal's last year and I canned it in Quart jars, and the best I could tell it was a 66.9 brix and it is all keeping fine.
    This year I have a Murphy cup, will make it a lot easier, my big question is, does it hurt to be a little heavy on the brix, will it still store ok, I don't sell, just for personal use and give to family

Quote Originally Posted by eastky View Post
    To start off, this is my 2nd year, made a little over 6 gal's last year and I canned it in Quart jars, and the best I could tell it was a 66.9 brix and it is all keeping fine.
    This year I have a Murphy cup, will make it a lot easier, my big question is, does it hurt to be a little heavy on the brix, will it still store ok, I don't sell, just for personal use and give to family
    Better to be a little heavy on density than light. If too heavy, only issue is that it may crystallize on the bottom of the container.
    Good luck!
    Seldom Seen Farm
    Montville Ohio.
    Seldomseenmaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kh7722 View Post
    Better to be a little heavy on density than light. If too heavy, only issue is that it may crystallize on the bottom of the container.
    Good luck!
    yep and if it does that you then have some Maple rock candy.

I just had my first boil of the year yesterday, had about 160 gal of sap, got my pan sweetened and had 1 small syrup draw before I ran out of sap and it was about 2 points heavy, I have it in the frig, so I will wait till I get more and then get it all to 66.9. Thanks for the advice

eastky, you asked about bottling a little heavy, you need to know what a little heavy means. The Murphy cup is a great tool, however if it reads 2 full points heavier than what the Murphy cup says it should, you will definitely end up with sugar crystals in the bottom of the container. The murphy cup , if matched correctly will result in 66.9% sugar, 67-67.1 is fine, 68.9 is a little too high. Some people will think there is broken glass in the bottom, that is sugar that settled out, good to eat, but you could have made more syrup rather than going over density. To correct it, just add good potable water, or distilled water or sap very slowly, blend it in and test. If adding sap the syrup being tested must be at 180+.
    As I repack a SS barrel into retail containers, if it tests high, I add distilled water. Sometimes it only needs a pint or 2, other times almost a gal. I really like the occasional time it needs a gal or almost a gal, the distilled water costs far less than my retail for syrup. In my case, I do 14-15 gal batches at a time, adding a gallon increases my profit nicely.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    eastky, you asked about bottling a little heavy, you need to know what a little heavy means. The Murphy cup is a great tool, however if it reads 2 full points heavier than what the Murphy cup says it should, you will definitely end up with sugar crystals in the bottom of the container. The murphy cup , if matched correctly will result in 66.9% sugar, 67-67.1 is fine, 68.9 is a little too high. Some people will think there is broken glass in the bottom, that is sugar that settled out, good to eat, but you could have made more syrup rather than going over density. To correct it, just add good potable water, or distilled water or sap very slowly, blend it in and test. If adding sap the syrup being tested must be at 180+.
    As I repack a SS barrel into retail containers, if it tests high, I add distilled water. Sometimes it only needs a pint or 2, other times almost a gal. I really like the occasional time it needs a gal or almost a gal, the distilled water costs far less than my retail for syrup. In my case, I do 14-15 gal batches at a time, adding a gallon increases my profit nicely.
    Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure how much over 66.9 was too much, I have it in the refrigerator, so I will mix it in with the next batch and get it all to 66.9 before I bottle.

I typically draw off the evaporator about 2 points heavy as well. Easier to bring it back down to syrup while finishing than the other way around. Plus, if it is a couple weeks or more between finishing/bottling sessions, I feel a little heavier should keep better than a little light. That's just my opinion though.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

I noticed some crystals in the bottom of some of my bottles from last year. Probably got a little heavy while re-heating in the "bottling pot".
    So what are the dangers/effects of bottling a little lite? Say 65.5 or 66.0?
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by Openwater View Post
    I noticed some crystals in the bottom of some of my bottles from last year. Probably got a little heavy while re-heating in the "bottling pot".
    So what are the dangers/effects of bottling a little lite? Say 65.5 or 66.0?
    Better chance of mold forming.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

easier for it to grow mold or spoil in the jar, trust me I know from personal experience. Better to be a little heavy.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread