+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2023 Season

Default 2023 Season

I guess A friend of mine and are going to start tapping tomarrow. I am going to start tapping on the cold side of the woods before the snow gets to deep. I heard butternut farm told or sent a letter to a bunch of sugar makers that were holding there syrup for them,saying that they would not be picking it up this year. I guess there not many packers buying syrup right now. Some sugarmakers are stuck with alot of last years syrup. This could be a problem for sugarmakers going into this season with there barrels already full. This is not going to help the bulk price. The retail market has held the same for us over all. A little slow this summer but picked up this last fall. We added a new pump shack with a electric releaser and did away with the last manual releaser. 2023 HERE WE GO!!
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

I have 1 woods all taped, Wow this is diffrent not trugging through snow or using snow shoes.Hoping to have the next woods 1/2 done by the end of the day.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

We planned an expansion last year using CDL's heated hut. It arrived after the season started and we didn't have the time to finish that area. In the meantime we moved that area's collection point to a lower loction to aid in the lift height needed. With any luck we will have the hut plumbed in this week. Dad is putting new taps on the drops as the weather permits. A quick clean at each releaser and we are ready to tap. Good luck to everyone.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

We got about 3900 tapped so far. This has been the easiest tapping season I have ever had.Usually I start and we get a dumping of snow and slows the tapping down. We have about 800 more to go and that will be done. I have a section of tubing that needs to be replaced this next summer. The drops are getting short and the brush is getting thick and it is the last section to get stubbys installed. I still need to wash the releasers and the tanks but I have a little time still for that. I looked at the CDL dog house those are cool units.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

+ Reply to Thread