+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: insurance Coverage for a Small Producer in NY

Insurance companies can be a pain in the butt for sure. They are all promises when they want your business and all denial when you have a loss. It almost seems like you need to change every few years to keep them in line. When they think they got you they raise rates. Sometimes I think they look for a reason to cancel you after you been a long term customer. The actuaries figure your due for a big claim and if they dump you all those premiums are secured profit with no out pay. Oh well, I digress. I would simply shop around and see who will do what. In our area a lot of homes have outdoor wood furnaces right close to a home, they surely aren't any safer than an evaporator that will only run select days for 6-8 weeks. Maybe an appeal with a detailed description would help. Your agent should be doing this for you. You being on a residential lot may be a big problem. I have asked my agent and he says I am covered under my umbrella for the farm.

I am curious, has anyone here had a Maple related claim? How did your insurance treat it? I know I am just a small hobby guy and if I suffered 100% loss on my shack and equipment I could just bear it and be Ok. I'd hate it but it wouldn't ruin me. Everything is paid for and I'd probably just quit. So I don't worry about it. It is no danger to my house as it is a quarter mile from my house. It is closer to my rental house, but still a safe distance.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

i sent you a message, i might be able to help you out.
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

Farm Family is great! The basic coverage (SPF10) is great for small maple producer but more importantly they are great to deal with in a claim; that's really what matters. Well worth leaving your agent who doesn't sell what you need or sells it at a ridiculous price.
    At least 5th Gen Sugarmaker
    30"x10'6" Vortex with Steamaway
    1000ish on vac with Atlas DSV065 Claw,
    ? buckets per how dumb i am feeling.
    Prehistoric DG500 RO, and a big Timberwolf splitter.

I went with Farm Family to insure my small hobby operation, at the time I switched all my insurance over with them. This was a few years ago. Last year my wife had a freak accident with her car running away in the driveway and down the hill and ending up in my neighbor's yard. The car ended up totaled! Farm Family went above and beyond to make things right. Beyond fair, quick, careing, great communication, all A#1 service! I cannot say enough good things about Farm Family. I highly recommend them.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

I met with an American National agent on Friday at my house. He was very thorough reviewing the property, equipment and buildings, including pictures. No quote yet though.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12