+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: insurance Coverage for a Small Producer in NY

Default insurance Coverage for a Small Producer in NY (Dropped bt NYCM)

My homeowners insurance company (New York Central Mutual) just dropped me because of my on-site maple syrup operation. The contention is the added risk of fire, home based retail, and the product liability is unacceptable to them. I do my processing in a detached building, am using modern equipment, and follow the procedures to the best of my knowledge, and produce less than 100 gallons of syrup.

So the question is: What do similar producers do for instance coverage? **Don't think that not telling them is the answer, because they say that any claim I would have filed that was traceable to the maple syrup operation would have been denied (this is why they investigate fires, etc.).**

I'm sure there are many home based operations faced with the same situation. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 01-26-2023 at 09:44 PM.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

We use Farm and Family Insurance Co.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

Coming from an Insurance background, I can tell this much. Each state has its own regulations. You would be best off contacting someone from the state insurance bureau to assist with your issue. They should be able to direct you to a company that will insure the business portion and that will free up the homeowners portion. It may also be a matter of your location. I hope this helps.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

i'm in vermont and my home owners insurance was fine with me having an operating sugarhouse detached and 150 yards away from my house. regardless of that, my insurance agent advised me to get what they call a "hobby" farm insurance. it gave me a LOT more coverage than my previous insurance did. with that, my sugarhouse got a blanket coverage that included all of my "out" buildings. it also gave me around $80k worth of coverage for things such as tools, equipment etc. if NY allows that, it's something worth looking in to. i make around 160-200 gallons of syrup a year.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by bill m View Post
    We use Farm and Family Insurance Co.
    Farm Family Insurance Co. is now known as American National. Good company.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

All very good info. Thanks.

My agent is looking for coverage, but I don't have any details yet.

My equipment is in the far end of a building (roughly 12'x51' not counting the 10' shed roofs running down one side) just 21 feet from the house. The nearest end is a 12x16 woodshed housing the firewood for the main house. That is joined to a 12x35 section where the maple equipment is located. The evap is against the farthest wall. My lot is 2.5 acres in a very rural wooded area.

This is a western NY based insurance company, and I assume they have plenty of data supporting this decision. Despite my very long term history with them, and my broker's negotiations, they were unwilling to reconsider.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I can understand why the insurance company bailed. 21 feet is way too close to your house. You're obviously way beyond their risk tolerance which should signal to you that a better location further from the house is needed.

There might be other considerations too, such as do you have a fire hydrant within 300 feet? If not, then it might be nearly impossible to put out a barn fire on tanker trucks alone. Once the barn is fully engulfed the the house would be hard to protect.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    I can understand why the insurance company bailed. 21 feet is way too close to your house. You're obviously way beyond their risk tolerance which should signal to you that a better location further from the house is needed.

There might be other considerations too, such as do you have a fire hydrant within 300 feet? If not, then it might be nearly impossible to put out a barn fire on tanker trucks alone. Once the barn is fully engulfed the the house would be hard to protect.

Ken
    At the time they bailed, they did not know the location or distance. They did not ask. This is more of a policy than a case by case decision. The evap is on the far end of the building, about 75 feet away from the house, but still in part of the same building. There are no fire hydrants within a usable distance in this rural area (about 1/2 mile away), but they didn't ask about that either.

Too late to move the location now without a huge financial expenditure. That's not in the cards. Due to the shape of my lot, the best I could have done was 100-125 feet. Another option may be to process off-site, at my remote sap collection point. But I don't own that land, and just about the same conditions apply there. In fact the neighbors would probably object for the same reasons; too close to their properties.

Still no word on insurance options from my agent. This may put me out of business for this season.

That stinks. But I wonder if you could still sell raw sap or even concentrated (R.O.'d) sap if it comes to that.

My agent still has not found replacement coverage from the companies they represent. I have a few weeks until cancellation, but I may have to check with other agents. My agent does not offer American National, but there are agents in my area.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast