+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rocket stove for finishing?

Future generations university and RCBI in Huntngton Wv have a rocket stove design made from a 55 gal drum for small producers to boil on. I saw a demo last winter at a seminar. Hard to believe how fast it comes to a boil with such a small amount of wood. I'm sure you could scale it down and finish on it. Good luck, let us know if you buid one.
    2012 15 jugs
    2017 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue
    2018 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    2019 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric, PC 330 pump & added a membrane
    2020 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    2021 570 3/16 - Built SS steam hood, Smoky Lake SS filter press
    2022 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40, PC 660
    2023 800 3/16 - Re-upgrading RO, building preheater

my Finish stove is a fisher stand alone stove with the heavy cast Iron top.

as it delivers more even heat. If I need to make a littler cooler I have some fire bricks that I ususally stack around the pans to hold in heat I take them away or even set them down on top the stove and then put pan on top of those as well. Have a set of welding gloves that I use for moving hot bricks around.

The fisher dosn't boil as fast as my barrel stoves with pan right on top of fire but it does boil at a slower rate and then I don't have to worry about scorching things when I'm towards the end of my batch run. You can find them used for $100 or $200 most likley. Mine I got free. I works not as fast as the other stoves I have but for getting towards the end of the run when its more about getting it right then the start when its get it hot as you can and go like no tomorrow.

just my thoughts would be find a old stand alone stove with heavy flat top and run that along with your main setup and then finish on that one when you need the finese of getting it finished off.

Quote Originally Posted by sublime68charger View Post
    my Finish stove is a fisher stand alone stove with the heavy cast Iron top.

as it delivers more even heat. If I need to make a littler cooler I have some fire bricks that I ususally stack around the pans to hold in heat I take them away or even set them down on top the stove and then put pan on top of those as well. Have a set of welding gloves that I use for moving hot bricks around.

The fisher dosn't boil as fast as my barrel stoves with pan right on top of fire but it does boil at a slower rate and then I don't have to worry about scorching things when I'm towards the end of my batch run. You can find them used for $100 or $200 most likley. Mine I got free. I works not as fast as the other stoves I have but for getting towards the end of the run when its more about getting it right then the start when its get it hot as you can and go like no tomorrow.

just my thoughts would be find a old stand alone stove with heavy flat top and run that along with your main setup and then finish on that one when you need the finese of getting it finished off.
    Funny j you should mention that. I found and "antique" stove listed on FB for $100 and was wondering if it would work. I was going to make an offer the next day sheet thinking about it, but it sold.

The Fisher stove I have has a 2 layer top, I put small square pans on the top layer where the stove pipe is at then blocks around the pans to help hold heat.
    The bottom part gets 2-3 pots down on that level I could fit a big pan there but dont have any left. I have the round pots so that is what I use. stack bricks up around to help hold heat in on sides of the pots. I have seen where people have taken stoves like the fisher and cut the top's off and put the pans into the cut outs that they have made. I have the Barrel Stoves and the basement stove that has fire direct to the pan for rapid boil. Its when Im starting to wind down the batch and I want to boil a bit slower and more even on the heat that the fisher shines then. My barrel stoves dont sit super level and 1 gallon in the pan on them leaves bare metal with fire under it. the last gallon in a round pot is still plenty deep and dont have to worry about scorching the pan that way. Though have to keep careful watch that I dont foam up and over the sides the pot at the end.
    Y1 9T ground stove/35 barrel stove
    Pics https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...266239/page-23
    Y2 15T Basement stove 3 pans 35 barrel/add fisher stove/add 55barrel stove
    Pics https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...266239/page-28
    Y3 20T Y2 Stoves plus 55 barrel
    Pics https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...266239/page-36
    Y4 25T Y3 stoves in small shack
    Pics https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...266239/page-44

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12