+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: what a weird winter - or lack of?

Quote Originally Posted by CTguy923 View Post
    cant wait any longer, i,m going to be tapping some tomorrow , see how they run, and then tap the rest later in the week
    so i decided to hold off on tapping a few trees and now it seems like were going be getting more winter like temps starting this weekend and next week, looks like i'll hold off till my normal tapping date of Presidents day weekend

I'm 50% tapped.

Forecast shows high's of 40s and lows in the 20s.

And I busted my tapping bit, bad sign.

This is weather is not necessarily bad, what will determine our maple season is what happens during the season, cold nights, warm days are needed then. If your weather is like what we have been getting in Central NYS, we are just adding plenty of ground water. The trees really only need a few cold nights to be able the move the sap after they warm up. Then the weather you had last year (sunshine to produce sugar) and the ground moisture will do the rest.
    Don't get nervous yet, lots of time left unless you are in the extreme southern maple regions.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

SkunkWorks, That's why I always had at least 3 tapping bits for each person tapping..
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

After 20 hours, about 1/2 gallon per tap at 1.9%.

Forecast is good: highs of low 40s, lows in the upper 20s for the next week.
    Last edited by SkunkWorks; 01-21-2023 at 09:46 AM.

2.3 gal per tap yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
    2.3 gal per tap yesterday.
    it'll shut off next week, we have some below freezing weather coming in

Gosh I hope so, made 2.8 gal this weekend on 45 taps. Drilled in the remaining 50.
    What great weather, 40s, dry, really nice.

Real cold weather coming on the 4th & 5th, after that it looks like same as we've had so far. I plan on tapping the 6th & 7th.

Default Does it take longer for sap to flow after extreme negative temps?

Hi all,

Do the trees need more time to warm up after the negative temps?

This is my first year tapping. I only have ten Reds and one Sugar. Is it normal for Reds to not produce much sap until February? I went ahead and tapped the last week of January. I was worried there would be no real winter.

To date I have a total of 6 gallons from all trees. Most of that is from the Sugar. (I've been freezing it until I have a windfall)

Even yesterday in the mid-40's, I only got six cups.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast