+ Reply to Thread

Thread: working in woods

Default working in woods

It sure was a nice week so far,getting a lot done ,especially all the wind damage ,a lot of stuff down on lines,luv working on bare ground and not even wearing gloves,good luck to all and hope we have a great season

My buddy and I went out two weeks ago and cleared all the windfalls and found the squirrel damaged lines. Then we had a significant wind storm so I assume we are back to square one.
    2016 - 2 x 4 Randy Worthen built arch and pans 11 taps; 2.625 gallons of syrup!
    2017 - 29 taps; 11.625 gallons of syrup!
    2018 - 30 taps; 98 pints bottled! New sugar house being built, new equipment coming!
    2019 - 125 taps; 50 gallons made! New 2x6 Smoky Lake Corsair arch, drop flue pan, auto draw. Smoky Lake filter press and Steam Bottler
    2020 - 173 taps; only 35 gallons made.
    2021 - 242 taps; New record! 50.5 gallons made!
    2022 - 321 taps; New record! 80 gallons made!

I walked our woods and cleaned everything up early Decemeber then we got the 26" snowstorm followed by 3" of rainstorm with 60 MPH winds. I figured we would have a lot of damage but it was not bad so hopefully you find the same thing! Got all lines off the ground and mainline tightened up where needed in all 3 bushes last Sunday. The woods work starts Sunday. Good going in the woods right now, almost all our snow is gone.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Got one bush ready to tap today,pretty sure squirrels will have done more damage by tapping time. Next bush has two large hickory trees down over the mainline and some laterals. Lots of squirrel damage there, but losing those two hickory trees may help.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

+ Reply to Thread