+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upc/barcode?

Default Upc/barcode?

We are currently getting custom labels made. We want to put barcodes on to help out our retailers. The info we found is 10-100 different barcodes cost $750 and then a $150 yearly renewal fee or you lose the access to them. Does this seem accurate to those that use the barcodes. Is this a serious monopoly on the barcode system or is there a better option? Struggling with the financial feasibility on this one but love the idea of having them.

Many years ago I got a label software pkg that would convert text into a barcode for use at work.
    Had a new account that required barcoded labels.
    There should be no fees, a quick search for "barcode label software" revealed lots of options.
    Good luck.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Just my opinion, but, I think the barcode on your label takes away from the locally produced and all natural image of your maple products. Instead, I think of an industrial producer driven by profit. If I were a consumer shopping for syrup I'd go for the non-bar code every time. And in most cases would walk away empty handed if the bar code label is my only option.

In general, I think it comes down to the size your operation. If you're large and you need to sell product at the supermarket or other outlet, then you'll likely need to bar code. I for one don't have any desire to operate at that scale.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Don't want to mis-lead anyone...The label software was for use in my mfg business, not for syrup.
    My labels come from Syrup Labels.com with pics of the grandkids updated each year.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

ONLY get barcodes from GS1. They can be bought individually for each product. They can be registered as pint, quart etc. other sites are a mostly scams and are just a random number for internal use. GS1 gives you a certificate and registry number so that all systems can enter and recognize it

We use the DYMO Label Writer 5XL Label Printer from amazon. It comes with the software you need to do barcodes and QR codes. You can make up your on barcode for each individual product. it nice and simple. You do need a newer computer for the Dymo 5XL printer. We also added the codes to our labels in a smaller size.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdoc View Post
    We use the DYMO Label Writer 5XL Label Printer from amazon. It comes with the software you need to do barcodes and QR codes. You can make up your on barcode for each individual product. it nice and simple. You do need a newer computer for the Dymo 5XL printer. We also added the codes to our labels in a smaller size.
    Just wanted to throw a warning out there about making your own barcode numbers. If you were to get into larger stores or amazon type sales it must be a registered code. Making up your own will not work. I believe its 30$ each to have a GS1 code, well worth the money

I failed to mention that we only use them for our store. We don't install them if we sell somewhere else.

Update. We bought gs1 barcodes through a broker. Pro: they are MUCH cheaper.
    Con: larger markets (Walmart, Amazon and such). Don't accept them unless you have a gs1 certificate.
    We tried them at our local market and everything worked great and we have no interest in selling to big box stores so a certificate was not an issue with us. We bought 25 to start with. Keep in mind if you sell different grades of syrup each grade is a different barcode. Gs1 sells them 10.and under for a price with a yearly fee. Or 11 to 100 with a higher yearly fee. When you buy with a broker there is no yearly fee associated.

Quote Originally Posted by cjf12 View Post
    Update. We bought gs1 barcodes through a broker. Pro: they are MUCH cheaper.
    Con: larger markets (Walmart, Amazon and such). Don't accept them unless you have a gs1 certificate.
    We tried them at our local market and everything worked great and we have no interest in selling to big box stores so a certificate was not an issue with us. We bought 25 to start with. Keep in mind if you sell different grades of syrup each grade is a different barcode. Gs1 sells them 10.and under for a price with a yearly fee. Or 11 to 100 with a higher yearly fee. When you buy with a broker there is no yearly fee associated.
    Unfortunately the reason they are cheaper is because they are technically not “real”. That gs1 certification is the only thing that matter. Basically brokers are just a randomized number. For 30$ each its much more worth getting the certificate, in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast